Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Anyone ever been inside of the condenser tank? I'm assuming that the two tubes that run in from the bottom are simply the feed line that is flush with the bottom inside and the over flow or vent which is a stand pipe going all the way to the top. Do that sound correct???

Being retired I just can’t seem to pry myself loose of the $150 for a reproduction and in the same vein of spending that much or more for a used one that is probably half rotted away on ebay.

Being retired and having all kinds of time on my hands also means, a sheet metal wrapper, two end caps, two 1”mounting straps, a foot or so of 5/16” tubing and an evening in the shop looks much more appealing and a fun project at that. I’ve even thought about using SS (painted, not the polished kind) and never ever having to worry about it rusting out.

The reproduction ones from the vendors are all of the later style painted gray. I saw one on ebay that is blue and touted as being from the 30’s. It looked like it was a smaller diameter then the later ones. Is this like the original ones you have on your pre-war cars?

I might need a few measurements or dimensions, think that may be possible from one of you all??
Thanks
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The small tube is for the overflow (or pressure release) for the overflow tank. It is a stand pipe and goes almost to the top of the overflow tank. If the radiator dumps too much in the tank water will pass out of the unit via the stand pipe. I have seen this happen with an extremely overheated engine. Thats why the instructions say to fill the rad. only to the normal level when the tank is used. This leaves more capacity for the overflow.....On my cars I fill the rad. right up to the cap and it stays there but I seldom get into conditions that would really overheat the engine...or know enough to avoid them.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 10/19/08 12:53 PM.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
That's just what I figured Gene, think I might make one up and see who I can fool.
I've never overheated this one either in fact I've never seen it over 185° even in traffic in the two summers that I've been driving it.
Denny G

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Denny
I agree with Gene in filling the radiator to the cap when cold.
If you check most current model cars they have radiator caps that completely seal at the top of the neck above the overflow tube and a spring loaded seal at the bottom. These systems quite often also half fill the overflow tank at cold as well.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Yep Tony, no argument from me, that is if it's equipped with an overflow condenser/tank. But we're probably getting things mixed up by not being specific about with or with/out an over flow tank. If in’ y’all top off a radiator cold with out an overflow tank your just going to puke the coolant out when it warms up, until it stabilizes at some temperature. When she cools down she’s going to suck air till she’s down to some level just above the core. Leaving most of the upper radiator tank empty.
A completely different set of operating conditions than with an overflow condenser, which sucks back all off your expanded coolant and leaves the upper radiator tank full when cold.
DG
So how tall is the original tank, and what's the diameter, i.e., OD? The rest is documented in the installation instructions like the hole spacing for mounting it.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Denny, Here's a picture of my overflow tank. Probably a model earlier than 39, but it's what I have. Anyone know what the year of it is?

[Linked Image from mysite.verizon.net]

It's 10" long from edge of lip to lip. The lip is about 3/16" deep to the top and bottom. The diameter is 4 1/4". The brackets are 3/4" wide with the holes spaced 4 3/4" apart horizontally and 5 3/4" vertically. Also, the drain hose is smaller than the hose from the radiator.

Hope that helps! Take care, Ralph

ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Thought I answered this earlier but I guess I didn’t post it.
Thanks for the picture Ralph, that’s exactly what I need it to finish a drawing to fab one. The radiator tube is a 5/16” so from what you say the overflow must be a 1/4” tube.
The picture is a little hazy so it’s hard to tell if it’s an original. It looks just like the reproduction tanks that the vendors sell. Do you know if it is an original or a reproduction? If it’s original it looks to be in excellent condition.
Thanks
Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ralph,
That is a 1949-54 tank.
The 1949-54 tank has the red stenciled lettering.
The 1940-48 tank is the same size but has a decal that has gold wings and a red emblem.
The 1938-1939 tank has the same decal but is 2 or 3" taller.
The size was reduced in 1940 because the battery was below the tank on the fire wall.
The color is almost the same as the engine color, your photo duplicated it well.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Thanky YOU once again Gene!
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.