Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am in the process of doing a frame-off restoration on my '31 Coach, including a complete replacement of all the wood framework in the body.

When I first started looking into what I was up against, to say that I lost a few nights sleep, is an understatement :) . Now that I have gotten over the "sticker shock" of buying a wood kit, doing the research, finding a supplier, and enduring the disassembly process, I am really looking forward to completing the task.

If any of you guys are also tackling a task of this magnitude, I would love to hear from you.

All the best, Don
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I know you have a daunting task ahead of you. :eek: :eek: Fortunately for me I didn't have to go through that process with my 1930 four door. laugh laugh You will have many fun and frustrating nights ahead of you. mad curse Don't let the no-see-um's carry you away. croc I lived in Summerville for 11 years. Good Luck Charlie

Seeing the USA in a (1930) Chevrolet
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Charlie,

Weather is beautiful here in Charleston, and the no-see-ums are not too bad this year :) .

I spent tonight getting several pieces of wood, my supplier did not have patterns for, ready to be shipped, and should have all the wood in hand in about 7-8 weeks. In the meantime, he has shipped me all roof rails, ribs and slats; lower side sills and cross braces; hinge pillars; cowl pieces; and kick-ups, so that I can start the reassembly process. Will also be ordering the correct 8-900 fasteners I will need to put it all together :) .

The cowl and main body panels should be repaired, media blasted, and etch primed by late next week, so that will be another big step in the right direction. Also hope to have the rolling chassis blasted and painted week after next.

I am taking lots of pics, and if any of you guys are interested, I will be glad to post them here.

All the best, Don
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I replaced all the wood in my 32 3-window and needed to remove some spot welds under the top window area. The door pillar wood is screwed to a metal cross member. The screws are under the body skin near the front upper part of each corner of the front window. The only way I was able to remove the wood pillars was to remove the spot welds attaching this metal piece to the body skin. After securing the wood pillars into each door with the metal attached I needed to bend the body skin back into the car and re-weld the body skin to this metal cross member.

I made all the wood in my restoration except the door hinge and door latch pillars. These 4 pieces I purchased from Auto Wood Restoration, James Rodman. He makes excellent wood parts.

Good luck and be patient, Bob

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well folks,

About half of the wood has arrived, and the rest is being made-up by K.C. Wood from patterns created from my originals. Rest of the wood should be ready to be shipped in about six weeks. I was thrilled to find out I do not have to replace the wood in the doors, as that would have been a major undertaking; it will also save me about $1000.00...phew!

Have the sidesills, crossmembers, and kick-ups glued and bolted together. Last night I drilled the crossmembers and installed the seat mounting hardware.

Cowl, and all door opening garnish moldings have been media blasted and primed; body shell and frame will get the same treatment starting next week...so far so good!

All the best, Don

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.