Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Sometime this past winter chev gene sent me some specs and breakdown photos while we were away for the winter.
The project is: A 49 sedan rear and tq tube that was machined down, previously, but the wheels didn't center in the wheel opening with the pu B'housing and 4 speed.
By using the 38 sedan BH and transmission I can accomplish this without going thru the machine process again. With a rough mockup, knowing the dimensions of the sedan and pu frame and crossmembers are not compatible with the rear mounts. It appears the Pu Xmember could be removed and insert a sedan x member in the correct spot with gussets to accomadate the rear motor mounts.
Any Suggestions, Ideas----to make this happen

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I can't remember just where this would place the area of the transmission area that the mount bolts to....ahead or behind the present cross member. Would it be possible to fabricate a bracket to "bridge the gap"?

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
38 P.U 3 speed; Well ChevyGene it is in front of the present xmember,( about 6 1/4 in)at any rate if I could get a sedan xmember there would be no need for the Pu.xmember. As you know the sedan mounts are in front of the Bhousing, whereas the Pu are on the side at the back. Also due to the fact the sedan 3 speed has a mount at the Trans (rear)how reliable is that for support? The Pu xmembers are much wider or thicker where the mounts sit. Perhaps that is just to prevent any undue stress at the ball and joint.
If I read your response right install the sedan housing and mounts, make a "bridge" bracket to connect to the Pu Xmember??
Thanks for any, all ideas.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I was looking at the picture incorrectly. As an example the 1937-48 enines were mounted in three points. There were two mounts under the front "mounting" plate. The truck has one large one at this location and either do the same job with the front of the engine.
The mounts at the bell housing do not carry engine weight. They only support the engine and keep it from twisting under torque. The truck version was much more heavy duty then the car type. A 1937-39 car crossmember would work well here. The weight of the rear of the engine and transmission was carried by the mount at the U joint on the truck. This must be a sturdy mount and cross member. If a 1937-51 transmission from a car is used it will have tapped holes in the bottom of the case for the car type mount. A crossmember would need to be under this mount.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
OK ChEVGENE; Then the mount at the rear of the Trans supports the engine also, whew, I smelled a lot of problems if it was under the Bhousing as the PU.
Just my Luck, 2 of those mounts were on Ebay last week, but being unsure, recently the "stabilizer" support brackets also, poor me!!!
I overdid a couple of items, while away for the winter, so I was punchy.
Thanks for the assistance. I'll try not to pester you for awhile.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.