Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#121039 05/17/08 01:37 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I recenty purchased a 1931 coach and it is leaking a lot of oil from the rear of the engine. I pulled the pan and I don't see anything wrong. The pan end gasket was in good condition. The engine has aluminum pistons so it has had some rebuild work done in the past. The leak is mainly when the engine is running about a drip per minute. I looked in the manuals I have and I don't see a rear main seal or a slinger, there could be a flange on the crank that acts as a slinger I don't know.
I would like to fix this, I'm sure this has been asked before many times.

Please help.

1930 Chevy Roadster
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
This is perhaps the most frequently asked questions. Do a "rear main bearing leak" search, it should give you a ton of answers.
Good luck..........

Gene Schneider
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
There is no seal on the rear main....just an oil slinger on the crankshaft. Make sure that the check ball in the rear main bearing cap is working as it should, and also check the valve cover gasket in the rear to see if it is leaking. As Chev Nut said you can also do a search on this site and you should come up with a lot of information.

wink :) :grin:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Oil leakage on the rearmost main bearing.

Oil spill on a the rearmost main bearing can be owing to for small autflow a the rearmost nether bearing.
Do i discovered my oil leakage, a i'd mounted a new gearwheel oil pump, a gives important more oil from the old original oil pump, a couldn't run quickly enough backward in sump, so that do i dismantle the the rearmost main bearing pan, and took the freeze plug of, and so that to a hole which was, a was one 6 mm. the drill slanted down, back-and forth.
Do i drilled the 2 holes up to 10 mm. and placed plug in once again, after that zero oil leakage.
dance

Last edited by chev; 05/20/08 05:00 PM.

Best Regards
Jens Rasmussen
ornsovej 22
8240 Risskov
Denmark
chevrolet@rasmussen.mail.dk
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Sorry my british, post me a e-mail that shall i try on i can define me better.
dance

Best Regards
Jens Rasmussen
ornsovej 22
8240 Risskov
Denmark
chevrolet@rasmussen.mail.dk
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Jens,
I think we worked it out that you enlarged the small oil drain-back holes in the lower rear main bearing cap to allow more oil
to flow through them.

JACK

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.