Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have a '37 Master Deluxe that has been under restoration for about 30 years. I have a generator that was rebuilt in 1982, on the reciept it says to use this generator with a voltage regulator. The generator does not have an i.d. plate. It is a three brush generator. This is all I know for sure.

In conversation with ChevGene, I purchased a Delco Remy voltage regulator on ebay. This unit was in the original package and is identified with part number 1118309, hand written on the box is "37 - 39 All" and "2500 Group." Stamped on the left side of the base of the alternator is the number 309. There are three lugs for wires, but inside the cover are only two coils. On my generator, there is one wiring lug mounted to the case and one wire that comes out through the case and extends a couples of inches.

Can anyone confirm for me that I have a regulator that is appropriate to use with the generator that I have with what little information that I can give?

Can you assist in how it should be wired into the circut?

Thanks,

Rich

1937 Master Deluxe 4-door Sport Sedan
Restoration project 99% complete
May never get to 100%
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The wire that "extends" a few inches was for the cut-out relay that was mounted to the 1937 generator because it did not use a regulator. The cut-out is mounted in the voltage regulator in the 1938. The cut-ot disconnects the generator from the battery when the generator is not putting out or when the engine is not running.Without a cut-out in place the generator will not work. I guess that it would be almost impossible to say what generator you have or what was done to it.
The cut out terminal on the reg. is stamped Battery.
If you can be sure what the generator is I would see if you could find a 1938-39 generator and install it and wire it as those years were. The tag on the gen would read 1100004, its a 3 brush and the 3rd brush is not adjustable as is the 1937.
Just some thoughts.

Gene Schneider
RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gene,

What is the risk of connecting the generator to the regulator that I have? Fry the generator, or the regulator? Damage to the wiring?

Thanks,

Rich

May never get to 100%
RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
This evening, I hooked up a very simple circuit. Just the generator, voltage regulator, amp meter and battery. No dice, there is no indication that the generator is charging. I suppose that the amp meter is shot, but they are pretty simple and the needle appears to move freely.

Any trouble shooting suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

May never get to 100%
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I sent you a message...more coming.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
First thing to check is does the ammeter move when you touch the line to the generator to a ground? If not the ammeter may not work or be wired into circuit correctly.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I will give that a try this evening. I am sure that I have the circuit wired correctly. I have created a circuit that only has the generator, battery, voltage regulator and amp meter in it. I also have been informed to check the contacts on the voltage regulator. It is NOS, and very likely not very clean.

Rich

May never get to 100%
RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have confirmed that the amp meter works.

I have not yet tested the generator any further. I was wondering if I could connect a battery charger to the voltage regulator to determine if it is working? If so, I would assume that the BATT terminal would still go to the battery, but how would the charger be connected? Neg to neg or to the regulator, pos to which terminal?

Let me know if this is a good idea.

Thanks,

Rich

May never get to 100%
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

A battery charger is not intended to operate any electrical device. It is intended to charge a battery. Any other use could cause damage to the device or the charger.

One check you can make is to connect a battery to the frame of the generator and the + connection to the GEN wire coming out of the generator. The generator will operate as a motor if it is operational. The most reliable way to check the voltage regulator is in the circuit as intended. If you have a MOTOR'S MANUAL, it gives some very good instructions on the charging system.

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Keep in mind also that a generator can motor but still not charge due to other issues.

wink :) :grin:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well, my generator does motor. I checked the contacts on the voltage regulator and one set was not making contact at all. I cleaned the contacts, checked the quality of the grounds and they were good, so, I hooked it all back up, and I "think" I am generating. I do get some movement on the amp meter. I will do more testing, but I am ever hopeful.

Thanks for your suggestions and support,

Rich

May never get to 100%
RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I found a stamped number on my generator last night. The number was under the metal strap that covers the holes where the brushes are. The number is 1081080. The "8's" were stamped horizontal instead of in their normal orientation.

This is a three brush generator with an adjustable 3rd brush. I have the receipt for the rebuild on this unit and it clearly says it must be used with a voltage regulator, not a voltage cut-off. I assume some modification was made during the rebuild. Does this make sense?

Rich

May never get to 100%
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The numbers may have been a rebuilder code. They don't look like any production numbers.
Yes, the generator could be "wired" to be used with a cut out or voltage regualtor. That how the universal replacement generator was designed. It was a 1938 generator and sold to cover 1929-39 years. The amp output had to be adjust lower for the non-reg. cars.Also it could put out 30 Amps at full charge when used with the 1938--39 generator and that is what the regulator you have is set for the generator that is to be used with it. If you use a generator that is designed for a lower output, such as the 1937, it could overheat and burn out if charging the maximum for a period of time. Like driving with the lights, heater and radio on.
When the universal gen. was used with a cut out the field terminal had to be grounded to make the generator charge. When hooked to a volt reg the field terminal runs to the regualtor wher is is grounded.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.