Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#109376 10/27/07 12:57 PM
lens49 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Need some help on my 6 volt electical. Won't fire and getting a weak spark from plug wires. Changed plugs,wires,coil,points,condeser,rotor,battery. Gets gas to the carb.Could the voltage regulator be bad? Or could a wire be grounding out in the firing circuit? Any other test I can make? Thanks Len

lennys49
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Check the "small" wire that runs from the coil to side of distributor. Often it can have a break inside of the insulation.If you have a jumper lead with clips just clip it in place for the test.
It will not be the voltage regulator. I assume the battery is "up".

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
If the engine ran ok before changing all the parts then perhaps some of the changed parts are not correct or properly set.If you have spark at the wire from the coil to distributor then recheck the rotor to be sure its correct.Also check the dist# to be sure the parts are correct as someone could have changed it and installed a later distributor thus leading to incorrect parts if ordered by year of mfg.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
as006840 indicated , It could be that you have a tall distributor cap for a 53 and a short rotor from a 51, I had that happen to me several years ago.

By the way how weak is the spark at the sparkplugs? I would be surprised that you couldn't get the engine to run a little with a "weak spark" that is visable on a sparkplug clamped to the engine and has the plug wire attached, providing you are getting air and fuel into the cylinder, unless you are frosting the plugs or flooding the cylinder with only fuel without some air for combustion. You say you are getting gasoline to the carb. Are you seeing any going into the intake by removing the air cleaner and looking down the carb throat while pumping the accelerator pump? you should be getting a strong gasoline odor if you have fuel going into the engine without any spark.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I guess you have made sure that the timing is correct.
That is the usual culprit, i have had.
My distributor had problem inside and would jump time when the parts bound up.

macourtney

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.