Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have been working on my chevy truck and I got a real, big surprise when I went to turn off the ignition. The ignition key cylinder and key pulled right out of the ignition switch!! I cannot pull the ignition key out of the cylinder as well.
What happened and can the switch be repaired?
I do not know what happened and how to find an original, replacement switch. I cannot say that Ebay is user friendly for antique car parts. Gary Wallace is on his to Chickasaw.
I am really concerned what happened and if it is something that I did to the switch, how to prevent it from happening again.
Would anyone out there in radio land have a good switch to sell me?
The only solution I can think of is to drill a hole and put in a good, toggle switch, and have the power line come from the distributor to the toggle switch and back to the igniton switch for power,

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Regards, Paul

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Contact Jarvis Erickson of Lynnwood Washington 425-776-2804 as he does work on old car locks and cylinders. Next I suggest joining the VCCA as there are many other benefits than the Chat site. Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club! Click on the AD above for membership info if you are not currently a member.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Yes, I am a member of the VCCA and the forum is one reason why the club membership is important to me.
Thanks

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Paul, I did verify you're a club member. If you edit your profile to show the club logo in your signature as Steve and I have it will help identify you as such. You can do that by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page then click Edit Profile. Sorry but I have no advise for you about your lock cylinder other that that provided by Steve.

Last edited by Tiny; 03/16/23 03:17 PM.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I changed my profile to show that I am a member. I will just keep looking. Thanks Paul

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I wanted to follow up on Jarvis. I was finally able to contact him by a letter. He has had a lot going on and is ready to rock and roll. He has many parts and reference books. I am sending him my unit for repair.
Paul

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.