Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#398745 11/25/17 01:43 AM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT 2

Some time in the next couple of weeks, VCCA Chevy Chatter is going to move to a new location. This is part of a long-term plan to allow us to consolidate all VCCA web services under a single management mechanism. Once it's completed next year, all VCCA members will have only ONE account which manages their membership information, vehicle data and login privileges into Chat. Peter Gariepy, who won the contract in July for this major integration effort is working diligently to make it all merge together. As a result, he will be the new Chat Master, Webmaster and Member Services focal.

The only thing that you need to do right now is keep a lookout for the new Chat address when it's posted here in a few days. If you find that you can't log in, then go the http://vcca.org where the new address will also be posted.

There are a number of techniques that are going to be turned on so that hopefully when you log in to https://vccachat.org, that it will automatically redirect you to the new address.

But if not, just type in the new address into your browser address bar. Note that it appears that you might have to also LOG IN to the new Chat location the first time, so allow an extra couple of minutes to do that.

As usual, the elves and I will be available for the first weeek or so to help you get logged in. Peter will also look for emails sent to memberservices@vcca.org that need help. Don't hesitate to let us help you.

QUESTIONS:
1) Will we lose any of the past 16 years of postings?
Answer: No. All posts are goiing to be retained.

2) How soon will my Chat account be merged with my VCCA mbmership?
Answer: We don't have an exact date yet but would like to complete it by Summer 2018.

3) When will my VCCA membership allow me to update my vehicle listing?
Answer: The master list of all 8,000 Chevrolet models was completed last year. We anticipate that this will be a part of the Summer conversion.

4) Will I be able to use Google to find Chat postings?
Answer: Yes. Once we change addresses, we will ask Google to reindex all 16 years of posts with the new address.

5) Can I go to the new location right now?
Answer: Not yet. But watch for it in a few days to be announced here.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Bill,
As you know and a few of us are aware the integration of Chat and VCCA website has been a goal for many years. It will make several things easier particularly the expanded privileges on Chat for VCCA members.

However, as evidenced by the change earlier this year to a different management mechanism for vcca.org this move will require some differences in the way Chatters interact. I am sure those differences will require some training, consternation, frustration and finally acceptance. It will only be a bump or chuck hole in the road so maybe an inconvenience but not life changing. I am sure we elves will be glad to help.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
The changes earlier this year werent as severe as when we moved host several years ago but any major move does involve a couple of bumps, I dont expect this to be any different but should be worth it in the long run.
I had heard that the integration was going to happen which will be an improvement on its own.
I would like to thank Bill for the many hours work he has put into Chatter over the last 16 years and although he is moving to the back seat I hope he stays in the circle.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Yep... been there, done that.

The future for Chat users has two phases.

One -- We'll move to a new location. All you've got to do is stay tuned and follow everyone to the new address. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. The worst that I can see is that most everyone will need to log in to your account at the new location since the cookie on your computer won't recognize the new link.

Two -- Sometime down the road we "may" convert to an entirely different Chat software program (so that it is integrated with the new Membership software). THAT is going to be fairly high risk... to the users. But, rather than be pessimistic, let's stay positive. We're going to have to hang in there together to get through our 17th year. Yowsa.

Bill Barker
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
THAT is going to be fairly high risk... to the users.

hello2 Oh man........I can see trouble a brewin' down the road.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
iagree

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Fasten your seat belts!

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
For those of us that may better understand the advantages of making changes I am sure the improvements will prove to be worth the effort.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I am sure the improvements will prove to be worth the effort.

That is probably true....but the average dude that is not a computer expert and barely knows enough just to get by on the computer and Chevy Chatter may not agree. stressed

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
We have moved a couple of times, some have been relatively easy with little difficulty others have been a royal pain but most have proved to be an improvement on what we had before. I expect a few glitches early but they will eventually be sorted.
Tony

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I'm not sure why everyone gets so frustrated with these things anyway. Every time there's a major change in any forum, there are glitches. If they irritate you so much, then take a week off, while those of us with the longer fuses can work through the problems and sort them out. Don't write the site off... just take a short break and join us again when it's all smoothed out. The last major change we had, I barely noticed anything different. Sure, there were a few small details, but nothing crushing that wasn't fixed quickly.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
The move I was referring to happened a few years ago which basically put Chatter unusable for a week or 2 and Bill Barker was having that much trouble sorting it out. The other moves I remember were relatively smooth.
Tony

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Back in June of this year, changes were made to VCCA Chat site, to whatever degree, I do not know.

After whatever changes were made, my log in would only be valid for that immediate log in session.

Next time, I had to log in again.

Yep, my fuse has been a long fuse, but, AS OF THIS DATE, 6 months later ..... I still have to log in each and every time, ever since this past June.

Patience does have a limit, eh ?

Only on the VCCA CHAT SITE, I may add.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I only log in every couple of months, I dont actually log out either.
Tony

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I only log in every couple of months, I don't actually log out either.

Same here.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Do you have a setting to wipe out cookies at the end of each computer log in? The extended log in for Chat requires that a cookie be retained on your computer. BB might still be able to help sort that out.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by tonyw
I only log in every couple of months, I dont actually log out either.
Tony

Tony, I don't ever log off, the gremlins log off for me ..... all this has happened since this past June / July time era.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Bob, it is possible that your computer did some sort of system update in June or July and as part of that update, a setting was set in your browser to not allow cookies on your computer.

Another possibility is that your security settings changed in the June/July timeframe and that your security software is no longer allowing cookies on your computer.

I suggest checking your security settings and the options on your browser and, if you want to stay logged on, they both need to allow cookies on your computer.

The problems with computers is that all software is squirrely and you are forced to be your own system administrator, whether you understand how to or not.

I call this User Antagonism.

Hope this helps. Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Rustoholic
Bob, it is possible that your computer did some sort of system update in June or July and as part of that update, a setting was set in your browser to not allow cookies on your computer.

Another possibility is that your security settings changed in the June/July timeframe and that your security software is no longer allowing cookies on your computer.

I suggest checking your security settings and the options on your browser and, if you want to stay logged on, they both need to allow cookies on your computer.

The problems with computers is that all software is squirrely and you are forced to be your own system administrator, whether you understand how to or not.

I call this User Antagonism.

Hope this helps. Dean

Hello Dean and thanks for your reply, regarding cookies.

I understand what you're saying here, but wouldn't the cookie issue affect all the forums I visit ?

This antagonism ( like that word ) only happens on this VCCA Chat Site, no where else.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Bob,
Did you click on the "Remember Me" button when you login?

[Linked Image from drydenroad.com]

Jeff

1925 Superior K 4 Dr Sedan
1966 C10
2003 Silverado 1500 HD
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Jeff, yes, I can click "remember me" or not click it ..... I get the same results.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Bob,
Here's a couple of threads that you should read. Since you haven't provided enough information (IE. Which brand of browser you're using) I can't begin to provide any suggestions.

If you READ all of these threads and still can't resolve your problem, send me a PM with your configuration info and I'll begin a deep-dive with you. I can tell you that the problem is 99% probably on your end. If it wasn't then there'd be a thousand other folks posting on here with complaints.

Begin following these links here:

ONE

TWO

THREE -- Long but a good solution

Bill Barker
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Bob... Do you check the forum on more than one device? I often have to log back in on my computer after I access it on my phone when I'm out.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.