Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#398743 11/25/17 01:22 AM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
ANNOUNCEMENT:
Bill Barker will hand-off all of the duties of CHEVY CHATTER Administrator on December 16th.

BACKGROUND:
Last year, Mike and Harry annoounced that they were going to retire after running the Member Services for the past 9 years. In July 2017 the VCCA awarded a Computing Management contract to Peter Gariepy along with a brand new membership software program. This consolidates his responsibility over three primary areas of 1) Membership accounts, 2) Web pages and features, and 3) Chevy Chatter. One of the primary objectives is to ultimately end up with only ONE Membership account for all members that controls their personal information, vehichle data and Chat permissions.

When Peter took over the Membership function this summer, I agreed to stay on and continue to manage Chat until the Membership functions had been successfully migrated to the new software. Peter began this transition on July 4th this year. One of the outputs of this job is to deliver the mailing labels for the monthly delivery of the G&D magazine. As you can see, that transition has been very successful.

CURRENT:
In a status conference call last week, Jim Karras, Peter Gariepy and I agreed that it was time to take the next step and have him assume administrative control of the Chatter database too. So based upon that I have offered my resignation effective December 16th which just happens to also be the anniversary of 16 years since we officially came on line.

Now since Chat has it's own set of unique features and procedures, I have agreed to stay involved IN THE BACKGROUND to assist for a few months until he discovers where all of the bodies are buried. Effective on December 16th however, I will not administer any further changes to the software, nor actively work business issues (eg. Password resets, forum changes, or link fixes). Peter will be the CHAT Administrator and all correspondence beginning the 16th should be sent to him at memberservices@vcca.org.

GOING FORWARD:
Remember that the primary goal this upcoming year is to combine all Membership accounts and Chat accounts into a single one so that it's easier in the future for VCCA members to manage their data, membership and Chat permissions using a single sign-in.

I want to thank everyone for their help and support over the past 16 years. I might add here that the first 25 people who joined Chat were VERY instrumental in helping get it off the ground. And folks who volunteered as testers, Moderators or elfs proved that a village can raise a child. It was a great ride and it's not over yet. I'll still be around and I think that Chat will continue to be a very effective communication tool for the club and for members who are seeking Vintage Chev answers. And if you're reading this and don't belong to the VCCA, we strongly encourage you to join us . Your entire membership fee goes to keeping the club running. After 55 years we must be doing something right!

Best of wishes for everyone

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Bill
While I am saddened to hear you are retiring, hopefully by your choice.
I thank you for your efforts over the years. I hope you dont disappear into cyberspace never to be heard from again.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Bill,
I've only been a member for about 5 months, but I'm so glad that Chevy Chatter exists. I have found so much help and made several friends already. But all of that is because of guys like you that are willing to step up in a time of need and meet a challenge head on. I think you've done a great job. I wish you the very best and like so many others will always look forward to your comments on the forum.

I look forward to seeing the changes and watching Peter administer the new site. As a webmaster myself, I know that releasing something new is a beast for the first couple of weeks, but I'm sure that Peter will do a fine job. Patience is the key.

Best wishes to you.

Last edited by jtroberts64; 11/25/17 01:54 AM.

Jeff

1925 Superior K 4 Dr Sedan
1966 C10
2003 Silverado 1500 HD
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Fare Thee well Sir. And thank you.

Best Regards, Pat
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Bill,

Congratulations on your retirement. My 41 restoration could not have been accomplishes without you and your management of our chat site. Awesome job!!!

Best wishes always,
Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Congrats on your retirement, Bill!! Your first retirement objective should be to attend a VCCA event as a member... and not worry about any of the planning of it, logistics it, or what Charlie is doing on the Chat Site!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Thank you Bill for getting Chat to the status it presently enjoys. Your hard work and dedication has benefited all in VCCA.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
BB.

This right here is a sad announcement. Is too!

On the other hand I do think we need some better steerage here on chatter. These are the reasons:

a. A 1941 Special Deluxe coupe has never been in the banner (or so small you couldn't make out what it was). If so it was before the great flood and I simply missed it. We 41 owners are about fed up and we're talking about a crusade to Washington (state not the capital. Now, that would do no good a-tall and is probably going to be canceled. devildance

b. You have taken too many sick days lately. I know, I know but you had no competent backup trained to handle usems scatter-brained posters. willy

c: You have reached the "peter principle" in you work here on the chat. There are other higher and harder jobs you can reach for. Such as run for political office. I'd vote for you but alas I'm in NC. Surely you have enough friends that would assure you of a landslide victory for the house or senate. Think about it. usa

d. You never did convince the powers to be that 1941 should be either a forum of its own or married to the 46-48ers. I have posted convincing and compelling evidence that those two forums are out of balance and need the adjustments I've suggested. All they talk about over in the 46-48 forum is such things as jacks and hood hinges. One topic lasts on average about 6 months. Talk about the twilight zone... woohoo

Seriously all the BS above is my way stupid, sillly and poor way of expressing my high regard for you and your work for us here on the chat and the club as a whole. You're a good man. Are too! bowdown

I hope to meet you someday. Do too!

Best wished for a great retirement. We'll all miss you and your expert guidance here on the Chatter and in the others forms of excellent service you have given to the club.

Charlie computer

BTW: All of you who read this, the comment about sick days was written with the best in mind and did not meant to imply or infer that he didn't deserve and need the rest and recuperation he has experienced. Stay well, Bill. patriot

BTW2. At least we get to scrub the high pay Bill was getting owing to the new guy coming in at the bottom scale. Look for the silver lining. Agrin

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Thanks for the kind comments everybody --- even you Charlie! bigl

I'll still be around for a while. After all, I still own my share of vintage Chevs. Ha!! I have more cars than wives, so I must be doing something right!

Now... I've got to break away and build a new header that doesn't include a turkey. As always I'll try to find some photos of member cars.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Bill I like your comment about cars and wives. I bought my Chev 2 years before I met my wife then the wife moved out nearly 19 years ago just before our 19th wedding anniversary. It goes to prove Chev's are more reliable than wives.
Tony

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
It goes to prove Chev's are more reliable than wives.

I don't know about that....I still have my first car, which is a 1951 Chevrolet that I drove to high school, and I still have my first wife as well. yay

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am in the same shoes as Junkyard Dog. I have my first car and my first wife. My wife tells everyone she is concerned that if there had to be a choice made she may go before the car. After 52 years I don't think she has a lot to worry about.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
The 38 wasnt my 1st car but I have only had 1 wife and not looking for a 2nd.
Good on you JYD and shorty, you obviously found the right girl the 1st time and looked after her since.
Tony

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
That’s what all jyd beer is for. laugh just joking Skip, congrats to both of you. Won’t happen for me as I’m on number two. First car was a Chevy Blazer and first wife was 100% Canadian French. One would think French car, French wife would be a good thing but two “frogs” don’t make one princess evidently! OK now I’m going to get bombarded by all our French and Canadian members! LOL

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
i too have my first car, a 49 club coupe and the first wife. been with the coupe since 1961 and the wife since 1965. anniv in a month, 52 years. seems like 52 minutes---------underwater. mike

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I to have my first car 47 Fleetline 7/6/1968 first new cer 72 Monte Carlo 5/9/1972 first and only wife 9/27/1975.
Stared the restoration of the 47 in 1978, started drive it some in September but the interior is not done yet.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.