VCCA Home
Posted By: piddler advice needed - 01/22/22 05:07 PM
I usually hang out on the 49-54 forum but I need some advice from this group.

My son called me and told me about a 65 Impala SS convertible that might become available. What problem areas should I be looking for when I look? I have heard that the frame rails and body mounts were an problem area on these cars. The car has, supposedly, been parked in a garage on blocks for about 30 years. I believe by the original owner. What else should I be looking at. I think the car is a 327 250 horse with powerglide.

Rust in the body, floors and trunk are my biggest concerns. I have no ability or experience in body work other than finding that I absolutely suck at it.

Thanks in advance, Pete
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: advice needed - 01/22/22 05:25 PM
Rust in the lower widshield area and floors, especially trunk floor.
Posted By: piddler Re: advice needed - 01/22/22 07:07 PM
Thanks. Rust is definitely a deal breaker for me.
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: advice needed - 01/23/22 02:54 AM
If I remember correctly this was the generation of full size Chevy’s that was subject to one of the first major safety recalls I remember.

The left motor mount would fail and the engine would drop down. That would pull the throttle to wide open.

When GM agreed to the recall and issued the initial notice, everyone thought it meant they would get new motor mounts.

The solution was to install a short length of chain so the motor would not drop far enough to create the open throttle problem. If the motor mount failed the customer had to pay to replace it if the car was not under warranty
Posted By: jack39rdstr Re: advice needed - 01/23/22 03:00 AM
An engine lift kit Was fitted to the exhaust manifold front mounting holes, and a loop of steel multi strand cable was looped around the upper suspension arm pivot shaft. This stopped any disaster if the engine broke the engine mounts .
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: advice needed - 01/23/22 05:01 AM
Thanks for adding the detail about the use of cable not chain. Lots of owners were surprised and disappointed that the fix was not an improved motor mount.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum