VCCA Home
Posted By: hopwooddon 1970 SS 396 Chevelle Package Tray - 01/12/17 10:01 PM
I have a 1970 SS 396 Chevelle and restoring to original condition. Prior owner cut through package tray and put 2 ugly speaks on rear shelve. I want to replace the package tray and mount 2-6x9 speakers on the under side. I purchased a new package tray with holes perforated for under mount speakers and the surface is a mesh or waffle look. Is that correct all the catalog have this same mesh package tray for mounting speakers.

If this is not correct what is and do you know where to purchase correct package tray.

Can someone advise. Thanks Don
Posted By: knapp31 Re: 1970 SS 396 Chevelle Package Tray - 02/21/17 06:32 PM
I've bought a restored '68 SS396 a couple years ago. It has a tray just like you describe. I've been thru judging and it never gets a mark down. I believe it came from Ground Up. Both Eckler's Chevelle and Ground Up sell them. You could ask this question on Chevelles.com too. You are liable to get a much better technical response there as this club does not have a lot of Chevelle owners.

Happy Motoring!
Bill
Posted By: hopwooddon Re: 1970 SS 396 Chevelle Package Tray - 03/06/17 10:06 PM
Thanks for response. I can't believe the number of views without any opinions given.

Thanks for your reply.
Posted By: m006840 Re: 1970 SS 396 Chevelle Package Tray - 03/06/17 11:47 PM
I had a 68 Chevelle Malibu with factory dual rear speakers and it was as you describe above. It was not an SS but I am guessing the tray was the same.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum