VCCA Home
Posted By: Grumpy_Gramps New Frame Choices and Preference - 01/28/23 02:26 PM
I recently purchased a 1954 Chevy 5 window short bed truck with which I’m planning on making into a nice resto-mod. I’ve spent all last night and this morning going through various chassis systems. My brain is getting overloaded with manufacturers, options, suspensions, etc. I keep thinking about air bag suspension versus coilovers with dropped spindles. Is one better than the other in terms of ride quality and performance?

Thanks

Bill
Posted By: Tiny Re: New Frame Choices and Preference - 01/28/23 03:07 PM
You might post your questions about resto-modding in the Personalized Modifications forum. Most VCCA members lean toward keeping them stock. You might also register and post over on stovebolt.com. That site specializes in trucks and mods are no big deal. I'll move this to the Personalized Modifications forum for you.
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: New Frame Choices and Preference - 01/28/23 07:46 PM
I can only imagine the mental choice overload once you decide to go full resto-mod. That is one reason I have a strong tendency to stay in the stock or original mode.

I have a few friends you have gone the resto-mod direction. The most important lesson I learned from them is to have a complete end-to-end plan before you start.

For example, you need to make sure that frame, suspension, brakes, steering, and drive train are compatible and all the pieces are available before you start. Even wheel and tire size can really mess you up if you don't have them selected at the start. Otherwise you will have issues and extra costs getting everything together.

I spend way too much time watching the resto-mod and custom vehicle car shows on Motor Trend. Even with all their experience there is never a project with no surprises or "gotcha's". They just take it in stride when they have to build new inner fenders to fit the engine or fabricate motor and transmission mounts to get the correct engine placement. Wheel tubs and transmission tunnels are normal work for them. I always wonder if the ride and handling are as great they claim.
Posted By: tonyw Re: New Frame Choices and Preference - 01/29/23 09:38 AM
When you start doing vehicle modifications you open a big can of rattle snakes and you can near bet at least 1 of them will bite you. Dont ask how I know.
Tony
Posted By: old216 Re: New Frame Choices and Preference - 01/30/23 01:51 AM
Some folks use an S10 frame and drivetrain. There is a mounting kit to do that. If I remember correctly there is a short frame and a long frame. There are people over on the Stovebolt.com that have done this and other combinations and they can help you out.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum