VCCA Home
Hi all, I took the top of carb off & poured gas into bowl about 3/4 way up for 3 nites & it`t mt in the am, did this cuz I have to pour gas in cold carb to start. I replaced power valve gasket, the only other things in the bowl are the main jets. Can a power valve leak? Also is the Power Piston assy supposed to move or is it rigid all the time, mine doesn't move. Thanks all !!
The power valve is controlled by vacuum and does move,None of the mentioned parts can leak.......but todays gas can evaperate very quickly.
Thanks for the reply Gene, It`s dumping so much fuel into intake manifold the plugs are all carboned up, are there check valve balls under the power valve or main jets that might be leaking? I tested again today & it lost 1/2 bowl in a 1/2 day, I had a cup full of fuel I use to fill carb bowl & it didn't loose any fuel??? Too weird, I`m going to plug the power valve & main jets just for the hell of it, I`ll keep you posted, thanks again.
The main jets and the power valve are both open when the engine is not running; but both have exit points above the fuel level in the bowl.

Todays fuel evaporates exceptionally quick.

Just for grins, I put one of the AFB Carters from my shop truck on the work bench for a test. Bowl was bone dry in 30 minutes.

Jon
Thanks Jon I guess I`m over thinking this, I pulled the top because I have to put fuel into carb initially in the am to get it started
A short squirt of carburetor cleaner should get the engine running. Might take a couple of shots to get the fuel bowl filled. Much easier than adding gas to the carburetor.
Hi All, another problem on my Rochester 2 Barrel, after installing a new needle & seat the brass float rubs on the side of the bowl. I have bent the tabs, etc, would it be safe to pinch the float to clear the side of the bowl? Thanks
I would not adivse it, could cause the float to fill with gas.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum