VCCA Home
Posted By: DLowe Build Date from VIN? - 01/23/21 07:11 PM
Hi all! First time poster here.

I am brand new to the forum, having just picked up a sweet '63 Biscayne 409/425/4 spd car. I am quite familiar with forums and have many resource books for Corvettes, however, the full size stuff is all new to me. I'm so excited to have this car and to be here.

I am ordering a Vintage DELCO battery for the car and want to have it date stamped. To do this effectively, I need the build date. My car's VIN is 31211B2531XX. What I've learned so far is that the first digit denotes model year, the next 4 digits denote the model/engine. The "B" denotes Baltimore. What I'm trying to get to is when this VIN would have gone down the assembly line. Is there a guide out there somewhere, or does someone have the ability to tell me what month and day this car was assembled?

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks.
Don
Posted By: Bill Masters Re: Build Date from VIN? - 01/23/21 07:24 PM
Welcome to the Chatter, Don. That sounds like you have a nice car.
Posted By: Verne_Frantz Re: Build Date from VIN? - 01/24/21 06:19 PM
Don,

Your car would have been born about Friday July 5th '63.

You can also look at the cowl tag which I would expect to be stamped 7A.

Verne
Posted By: DLowe Re: Build Date from VIN? - 01/26/21 04:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, Verne. Indeed the stamp does say "7A". There's a bunch more info also on the tag, such as "4510-A" after the F&SO. There's also "2C" and "3P" after the ACC. stamp. I'm trying to learn what these codes are telling me.

Thanks again!
Posted By: Verne_Frantz Re: Build Date from VIN? - 01/26/21 06:36 PM
Don,

I see that you bought that car recently at auction. The original color was Adobe Beige with a Fawn interior. The car may have been originally a police car. It wasn't delivered with a 409 and a 4-speed. The F&SO stands for Fleet & Special Order. You can check to see if it has the police chassis options, such as HD ball joints and metallic brakes.
Just letting you know....

Verne
Posted By: DLowe Re: Build Date from VIN? - 02/03/21 04:01 PM
Thanks for your replies. I did buy the car at auction and I love it. If legitimate, casting and assembly dates for at least the engine, transmission, alternator and carburetors seem to line up with what I've learned the car's build week was.

So much more to learn! As I move along, might this group have any recommendations for where I might source for reproduction and other needed parts? For example, I need a reverse light switch and mounting bracket for the T10 4 speed transmission. I also ned a replacement trim cover for the front seat. There is a flexible plastic (vinyl?) cover over the front seat back frame, where it marries to the cushion frame.

Still trying to figure out how to post photos. I will share them once I get this under control.

Thanks!
Posted By: Jeff1951 Re: Build Date from VIN? - 02/04/21 02:41 PM
Don,
Did you try C.A.R.S. in Rochester (MI)? They are a large supplier of Chevy sheet metal, interior, trim, etc.
Jeff
Posted By: chevy b Re: Build Date from VIN? - 09/22/21 03:18 PM
I have a switch and sent you a PM .
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum