VCCA Home
Posted By: olsarge Bought a 1961 Corvair Monza coupe - 02/13/20 01:15 AM
A friend was desperate to sell his 1961 Corvair Monza coupe. Being the friend that I am, even though I wasn't looking for one, I bought it. In short, it's a 2 owner (I'm the 3rd) with one repaint and carpet replaced years ago. Other than that it is absolutely original and has 22,000 documented original miles with an Automatic transmission. It has been garage kept and driven to local car shows for the last 20 years. That brings my total Chevy inventory to a nice round 10. I plan to keep it exactly as it is and enjoy it.

Attached picture Corvair front.jpg
Attached picture Corvair Engine.jpg
Posted By: DreamChevy Re: Bought a 1961 Corvair Monza coupe - 02/13/20 05:44 AM
Love the photos great condition.
Enjoy your Corvair thank you for sharing.
Posted By: olsarge Re: Bought a 1961 Corvair Monza coupe - 02/13/20 12:54 PM
Thanks Dream. All I know is I'll never have to replace the radiator. Lol
That is a great looking car! And one that will be fun to drive! Congratulations!
Posted By: Verne_Frantz Re: Bought a 1961 Corvair Monza coupe - 02/14/20 04:10 AM
You're going to have to buy another one because no one owns just ONE Corvair!

Verne
Posted By: olsarge Re: Bought a 1961 Corvair Monza coupe - 02/14/20 04:29 AM
Well, I have 3 Nomads. Does that make up for the other Corvair. But now that you mention it the friend I bought it from also has a 1969 Corvair.
Posted By: Rob_Amsler Re: Bought a 1961 Corvair Monza coupe - 11/09/21 09:56 AM
Congratulations James, hope you are enjoying the '61 a year-plus down the road! Corvairs are a disease of which I am also afflicted. 7 of them now and counting :0 They are a lot of fun.

I'm a new member to VCCA, having been a member of CORSA (https://www.corvair.org) for several years. Joined VCCA to explore the more historically accurate and correct aspect of the brand.

Rob
Posted By: luggnutt Re: Bought a 1961 Corvair Monza coupe - 01/22/22 12:43 AM
Enjoy the Corvair. I have had at least one since 1974. You should also join Corsa , the national Corvair club. If there is a Corvair club near, consider joining.I also have a 1961 Monza coupe. I am getting ready for the Helen, Ga show in April. I will also take it to the CORSA International convention in Georgia. I would like to go to the VCCA anniversary meet in Ky.
1961 Monza Coupe-
1950 Bel Air
1964 Impala SS

Bill Pierson
Posted By: olsarge Re: Bought a 1961 Corvair Monza coupe - 01/22/22 01:05 AM
UPDATE - Well guys it was short lived. As mentioned above we have 10 old cars including the Corvair. Several months ago a good friend and fellow AACA member went into an assisted living (memory unit). He had several cars most of which did not run. His brother took over his affairs and decided to liquidate the stable. Among that coral was a very nice (but neglected) 1966 Mustang convertible. The car had been sitting idle outside in humid South Florida for several years. It needed work but was a very desirable baby blue convertible with white "pony" interior, 289 4-barrel, automatic transmission. Well, at the price my wife just had to have it. I know, it's a blue oval not a bowtie. We bought that car and after some TLC put it back on the road. It's a great parade car and draws a crowd wherever it goes. Well, something had to go to make room and the Corvair was last in, first out. The Corvair went to a very good home of a Corvair collector with 4 others. We titled the Mustang in my wife's name so I can still say I've never owned a brand X.

Attached picture IMG_0035cropedit.jpg
Posted By: Wilson Re: Bought a 1961 Corvair Monza coupe - 01/22/22 05:45 PM
She obviously loves it and the color goes well with her coat!
WL
Posted By: Wilson Re: Bought a 1961 Corvair Monza coupe - 01/22/22 05:45 PM
She obviously loves it and the color goes well with her coat!
WL
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: Bought a 1961 Corvair Monza coupe - 01/19/23 06:54 AM
Your Corvair was very nice looking, sad to me that it was sold.
To those who have a love and interest, I’d like to see a forum, especially for the unique Corvair, and it’s 10 year run with Chevrolet.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum