VCCA Home
Posted By: joseph44 batteries go dead after setting 3/4 wks - 07/24/19 07:11 PM
Hello Everyone: Question I have a 63 impala s s why do my batterys die after just setting 3/4 wks?, when I come from a c/show I disconnect my ground wire from batt.Puzzled ..Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks for any help !!
If you disconnect the battery and it still goes dead, you need a new battery.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: batteries go dead after setting 3/4 wks - 07/24/19 10:48 PM
iagree
Posted By: joseph44 Re: batteries go dead after setting 3/4 wks - 07/24/19 10:50 PM
Thanks for you response chevy1937: The thing is this has happened to 2 other batteries that be a coincidence do u think. Baffled!!!, Thanks for u'r thoughts and have a great ww/nd!!
Check both battery (made up of 6 2 volt cells) and the alternator.

You can check the alternator by (while the car is running, place a piece of metal (small flat wrench will do) on the back side of it. If it is charging, he wrench will be drawn (as in a magnetic pull to the alternator body.

You may have been running on just the battery and depleting it and then< if it is week or the alternator is not properly charging, ending up with insufficient power next time you rely on it (battery).

As others have suggested, I too, believe you may have a bad battery. Only owing to the history of such bad batteries suggest that something may be causing, contributing or acerbating to the problem.

Hope you find the culprit.

Best,

Charlie computer

I recommend you get a new battery of good quality and a different brand. Continue the practice of unhooking your battery when it is not used regularly. A trickle charger is a nice thing to have in the shop also.

devil Agrin
Posted By: Clement Re: batteries go dead after setting 3/4 wks - 08/17/19 12:14 AM
I use " Battery Tender " brand chargers on both of my vehicles. They are awesome. Come in 6 or 12 volt.
You may also have a parasitic current draw somewhere in your electrical system which drains the battery over time. This is true with modern cars now as all have accessories which maintain current flow with the car shut off (e.g. car alarms, etc). Hence most modern car batteries need replacing more often.

A short somewhere or loose ground can cause this too. Check all your ground wires and keep battery terminals free of corrosion.

Disconnecting it when not used can help as can battery tenders. The tenders will only maintain a fully charged battery, so if it's weak it needs a full charge first.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum