VCCA Home
I'm wondering if the water pump that is on my 1955 235ci solid lifter engine is the correct one. The reason I suspect it is not correct is because the water pump pulley does not line up with the harmonic balance pulley and generator pulley. Eye balling the line up, the water pump pulley is between 1/8" and 1/4" out of line towards the engine.

The distance from the water pump housing to the pulley hub is 5 1/4". The water pump has the following markings on it.

On the impeller is 3873830 and GM. On the housing is 118501 and a "T" with a circle around the "T".

Can anyone please tell me if this is the correct water pump for this engine? I tried to attach photos of the markings, but the files are too big.
The numbers do not jive with my books. Perhaps the water pump was rebuilt and the flange the pulley attaches to is pressed on too far or not far enough.
Thanks for the info, Chev Nut. You might be correct about the water pump being rebuilt. If that is the case, the flange (hub) the pulley attaches to is pressed on too far. I was given a spacer to place between the flange and pulley. I'm going to try that to see if the water pump pulley will line up better.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum