VCCA Home
Posted By: 6wheel 55 belair a/c - 11/23/17 07:11 PM
I'm considering installing a/c on my 55 belair hardtop. It's a very nicely restored (to original) car with very few miles on it. I'd really like to start enjoying it now, but driving in Mississippi in the summertime is no fun without a/c. I had a 210 for many years, and I had installed a hurricane unit from Old Air Products in it. It cooled fine when temps were in the 80s, but above 90 degrees it didn't cool very well. Water temp in the engine was fine, but inside the car was not comfortable. Have any of you had experience with Vintage Air's unit on a 55? Or other unit?
Thanks,
Sid
Posted By: dens41 Re: 55 belair a/c - 11/23/17 07:30 PM
I have a vintage air unit in my 41 that works good, it is better after I changed the side vents on the outer ends of the dash from the rectangle vent to the ball style, airflow was improved.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: 55 belair a/c - 11/23/17 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by 6wheel
I'm considering installing a/c on my 55 belair hardtop. It's a very nicely restored (to original) car with very few miles on it. I'd really like to start enjoying it now, but driving in Mississippi in the summertime is no fun without a/c. I had a 210 for many years, and I had installed a hurricane unit from Old Air Products in it. It cooled fine when temps were in the 80s, but above 90 degrees it didn't cool very well. Water temp in the engine was fine, but inside the car was not comfortable. Have any of you had experience with Vintage Air's unit on a 55? Or other unit?
Thanks,
Sid

Sid, I believe whatever unit you may install will only function as well as the insulation you add to the body, which would include the roof panel.
Being a restored to original, you may not want to remove the headliner, although it would be beneficial. dance
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum