VCCA Home
Posted By: greg 55 chevy rearend - 01/05/02 02:25 PM
can anyoe give me a good resource to learn more about the rear ends used in a 55 chevy. I'm doing a frame off on a 55 chevy, six, 210 4-door station wagon. I will be adding a 350 with a 700r-4 trans. I don't know if that original rear end is up to the task. I've had several different opinions. The local gear shop wants to sell me a new positraction setup, with an updated rearend and axels that is a bolt on application. Others say that rear end was used in a lot of the chevy's including corvetts. My original rearend has 10 bolts. I also heard about 12 bolts but I don't understand enough about the two to make even the slightest educated guess. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a first time user of this sight and this is my first body off restoration.
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: 55 chevy rearend - 01/05/02 05:45 PM
Hi Greg,
No offense, but please don't use the word "restoration" in connection with what you are doing to the 55. :(
Posted By: bowtieollie Re: 55 chevy rearend - 01/05/02 09:14 PM
Hi Greg,

The stock '55 rear is capable of dealing with your driveline modifications.

Since you are making some considerable modifications to the '55 you may want to visit www.chevytalk.com - look at the modified 55-57 forum.

VCCA is interested in preserving vehicles "as they were manufactured" by Chevrolet.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum