VCCA Home
Posted By: RAYCYCLED 28 special Carby options - 08/11/17 02:04 AM
I've decided this group needs a bit of activity, I'm putting together my 28 Chev special finally , and first race is Sept 22nd. I'm not going to get all I want done by then, but I do want to try a pair of 1-1/4" SU carbies on her , would I be best with a common inlet manifold or just go one Carby per port? As the 4 cylinders fire 12-43 I wondered if the second cycle would not be pulling enough fuel because of this configuration. Ray
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 special Carby options - 08/11/17 02:18 AM
Some pics of the progress. Ray Raycycled.com
Posted By: wisebri24 Re: 28 special Carby options - 08/11/17 02:24 PM
Ever hear of carb venturi sleeves to control the air/gas intake on more than one carb intake?
Frank Whitby makes them (he resides across the pond). I have them on a pair of one bbl Strombergs. He is very knowledgeable.

Venturi sleeves from Frank Whitby ( mango235@yahoo.com.au).
Posted By: tonyw Re: 28 special Carby options - 08/12/17 11:44 AM
While I havent read the article on the sleeves what I know of them they are for fixed venturi carburettors but the SU and CD Strombergs are variable venturi controlled by the throttle so I doubt they would work in this case.
Tony
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 special Carby options - 08/14/17 04:45 AM
Not heard of them, have U got a link to some technical info on them? I'm more concerned with getting even amount of vapour to the 2 and 3rd cylinders as they are the second draft on each port due to the Chev 4's unique firing order. My thinking, Pros; if I have a dual manifold then there is 2 carbies worth of vapour for every stroke, but the con is that getting the balance on the carbies is much harder so that they draw an even mixture . Also if the carbies are mounted direct to each port they won't protrude past the bonnet, Ray
Posted By: tonyw Re: 28 special Carby options - 08/14/17 09:42 AM
If you plan on using twin carbs I would use 1 carb for cyl 1 & 4 and the other for 2 & 3 with all tubes the same length or both carbs fully linked for all cylinders.
Tony
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 special Carby options - 08/14/17 11:40 AM
Hi Tony, it would have to be for all cylinders then, there are only two ports , one for 1-2 and one for 3-4, the Great Fangio won his first series in A 1928 Chev and had it doing over 100 mph, though I've yet to find details on what was done to the motor. But Carburation is most definitely a big factor. Ray
Posted By: carbking Re: 28 special Carby options - 08/14/17 12:21 PM
(Opinion only, I have never built a dual manifold for a 1928 4-cylinder).

I believe you need a single manifold with two interconnected plenums. Each carb attached to a plenum, and each plenum attached to a port. The interconnection tube should be roughly half the diameter of the runner diameter. Attaching each carb directly to a port, I think, will require significantly larger carbs. Research the difference in CFM requirements for a plenum intake manifold versus an individual runner manifold.

The old standby equation:

CFM = [CID times RPM] divided by 3456

for CFM is for a four-stroke multi-cylinder engine of at least 4 cylinders. Running the carbs attached directly to the ports would require carburetors capable of twice the CFM of those used in a plenum arrangement.

Jon.
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 special Carby options - 08/19/17 09:19 PM
Thanks for that Jon, what's CID stand for , Cubic Inch Displacment? here are a few pics of the manifold I made I've got to make up some linkages but getting there , Ray
www.shop.raycycled.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/IMG_4088.jpg
Posted By: tonyw Re: 28 special Carby options - 08/20/17 07:40 AM
That manifold looks good though I would have used plates about double thickness where it bolts to the head, to reduce the possibility of warpage.
CID is Cubic Inch Displacement
Tony
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 special Carby options - 08/20/17 09:56 AM
hmm Yes Tony you might have a point, I made it from a bronze sink waste pipe and some bronze plate I had. Ok so I'm running around 140cfm at 2000rpm I'd doubt I'll get more than 3000 rpm, these are not a high revving motor. I've not got the capacity for a pair of
1-1/8" SU Carbies as yet but anything is an improvement on the 1" updraft Carter! I'm also guessing my vacuum tank might not be up to the task though, I've run her at 70mph for over 5 miles with the Carter and no fuel issues , Ray
Posted By: tonyw Re: 28 special Carby options - 08/21/17 08:35 AM
If the plates are brass they may not warp as much, I was looking at the weight and heat issue allowing the carbs to droop pulling the top of the plates away from the head though it wont happen on the first run.
Tony
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 special Progress pics - 08/31/17 07:18 AM
Evening one and all, just a pic of today's work starting to shape the scuttle, seats installed,
4 weeks to race day !
[img:left]http://www.shop.raycycled.com/?p=96...rd&_thumbnail_id=-1&preview=true[/img]
Posted By: m006840 Re: 28 special Progress pics - 08/31/17 10:37 AM
Getting message " Sorry you are not allowed to view drafts" when clicking on link.
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 special Progress pics - 09/01/17 01:32 AM
Oh that's odd I'll fix it, Ray
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 special Progress pics - 09/01/17 01:35 AM
Try this link folks, pics of body progress, and shaping scuttle. Ray
[img:right]http://www.shop.raycycled.com/?p=961[/img]
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 special Progress pics - 09/14/17 07:18 AM
OK Carbies working , Sort of, after 2 different size main jets and 3 different main needles, have it running, revs out nicely bit rich but getting there. Ray
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 Special Disaster ! - 09/18/17 09:03 PM
Morning All, I think I have a big problem, 4 days till race and my rear main bearing is very sloppy, dropped the pan and removed the rear cap, to find this [Linked Image from shop.raycycled.com] Cracked and loose Journal, Im not prepared to take out the crank to get to the top one at this time so. The big question is : I have a bearing half from another motor should i risk putting it in and getting as snug a fit as possible, as there is no time or budget to do the right job before Saturday, Thoughts please , Ray
Posted By: m006840 Re: 28 Special Disaster ! - 09/18/17 11:09 PM
I believe that if it's worth doing then it is worth doing right.
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 Special Disaster ! - 09/19/17 01:43 AM
True Steve but time does not permit, its been a year getting ready for this race and all i want is to run, if it claps out so be it, I can pull it down and rebuild next week!, Ray
Posted By: Chipper Re: 28 Special Disaster ! - 09/19/17 04:00 AM
With your situation I would try it. You will find out quickly if the replacement bearing is too tight. May not find out if it is too loose. Might need to take out shims to kinda get an idea of the gap. You will know if you take out too many as the crankshaft wont want to rotate. Put back just enough shims so it rotates and run it. Besides the majority of the force on the main bearings is on the bottom of the bearings. Top for rods but bottom for main bearings.
Posted By: tonyw Re: 28 Special Disaster ! - 09/19/17 09:19 AM
You are somewhere between the falling rock and a hard place. Personally I would not risk either option considering the damage that could result if it lets go. I dont think 28 engines are all that common these days and at least what you now have is definitely repairable but it may not be if it all goes pear shaped.
Tony
Posted By: RAYCYCLED 28 special 2 days till race ! - 09/21/17 06:34 AM
Well two days till race day and Murphy struck with a vengeance! In the last 3 days I've had to replace the rear main bearing with engine in car as I can't use my hoist! All day job . Then apon getting the gear box out found my needle roller universal joint conversion was slipping. Back to the original sloppy version, then on reassembly couldn't crank it over , my mind went nuts, it would only start or crank over with Clutch depressed, much like its owner at this point, turned out the bush where the top gear box shaft fits in to the spline shaft had decided to cease meat minutes before,! so gear box back out , throw the bell housing and uni on to a old gear box and reassemble for the 3 time in as many days, fired her up an hour ago and picked up the kids from school , so far so good. Not got the twin SU carbies right just yet but that was another day operation getting the needles and main jets somewhere close even to get it to start, More pics to come [Linked Image from shop.raycycled.com]
Posted By: Chipper Re: 28 special 2 days till race ! - 09/21/17 12:21 PM
Stay in there. We often do our best when challenged.
Posted By: beachbum Re: 28 special Carby options - 12/15/17 05:16 AM
I like those SU carbs. There is a fellow in Portland who has cast aluminum flange adapters similar to those for sale. He laid out the castings for a Model A but since they come un drilled they could be drilled for other sizes It is also set up for a balancing tube between the two bases.
Posted By: mike_lynch Re: 28 special Carby options - 12/31/17 12:34 AM
so raycycled what was the result of all this frantic work.

Blow up the motor ?

mike Agrin
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 special Carby options - 02/17/21 08:24 AM
Hi Mike did not realise I had not replied to you, No car went very well,the SU carbies made a big difference, hope to race it later this year, Ray
Posted By: beachbum Re: 28 special Carby options - 02/17/21 11:06 PM
Good to hear it went well. Looks like it has been 3 years since you put that together. Have you done any modifications to it since then? Also the links to your original photos no longer works. Seems like some other posts where the pictures are uploaded to the forum stay in the post. Art
Posted By: RAYCYCLED Re: 28 special Carby options - 02/18/21 11:03 AM
I have got the new body and running gear just about finished, Going to either ake 8 kg off the flywheel or find a later version that will fit , Dished higher compression pistons and working onan oil fed t the bottom end, Also have a 32 front drumbrake set up I will fit much bigger than the 28 brakes , Ray
https://www.instagram.com/p/CB4VJK9D9tm/
Posted By: beachbum Re: 28 special Carby options - 02/18/21 04:56 PM
That looks great. About the flywheel, I had the machinist take about 15 to 20 pounds off of my 29 flywheel/pressure plate when I put that together last year. A few years ago I talked to a fellow who put together a 28 speedster. He turned down the flywheel and made it flat all the way across like a more modern one. Then you drill the flat face with your pressure plate of choice, whether it be Borg Warner, or a common one like off of a later 216. It does make the engine more responsive but at slower rpm there will be more vibration especially if you increase the compression. You may have to fit a vibration dampener like off of a '30 6 cylinder. I have sourced 4 connecting rods from a Continental engine to play around with. This fellow may even have a drilled crankshaft for full pressure bearings. Not sure I will go that far as the cam bearing pockets are filled by oil spray. I enjoy seeing your posts. Art
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum