VCCA Home
Posted By: bedman1953 Noise reduction - 03/14/23 01:52 AM
Hello,
I have a 1952 coupe with 216 engine. Cabin noise is considerable. Any suggestions on noise reduction materials that would make things better? There appear to be a large number of choices available and pricing varies considerably. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: Noise reduction - 03/14/23 03:33 AM
While sound deadening material might help, try to determine what is generating the noise. Is it engine noise, road noise, or wind noise? Do the windows and doors seal well?

If you think that sound deadening material would help, do a simple test. Place blankets on the floor and tape them to the doors.
Posted By: Keith Knox Re: Noise reduction - 03/18/23 03:06 AM
Sounds like it is a stick. If it is, the rearend should be a 4:11 gear ratio and that causes the engine to turn fairly high, which is pretty noisy like my 48.
Posted By: Keith Knox Re: Noise reduction - 03/18/23 03:06 AM
Sounds like it is a stick. If it is, the rearend should be a 4:11 gear ratio and that causes the engine to turn fairly high, which is pretty noisy like my 48.
Posted By: piddler Re: Noise reduction - 03/29/23 12:01 PM
I used the sheets of aluminum insulation from Lowes. I know it is not made for noise but I have read that it should help. I put it everywhere except the roof. I put it in the doors, floor, and even behind the original firewall insulation. The hood also has what looks like undercoating. The car is still noisy. l haven't ridden in another '51 so I don't have anything to compare.

I figured that the quietness of the newer cars might just have me spoiled.

BTW the engine is a 261 with powerglide.
Posted By: Rusty_Heaps Re: Noise reduction - 03/30/23 12:46 PM
They will be noisier than modern. Perhaps a good stereo is in order.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Noise reduction - 03/30/23 03:00 PM
Depends what kind of noise you are hearing,
Engine nise will be coming through the firewwall Make sure thatthere arn no openings in the fire wall pad.

road noise
Is all the floor insulation in place as wele as pading under floor at.

General interior noise can be soaked up by interior CLOTH upholstery. Has the cloth been replaced by vinyl?
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum