VCCA Home
Posted By: Jim_D Hole in block - 01/31/12 08:58 PM
I recently bought a 1950 Styline Deluxe with a 216 engine. It has an oil leak. I think it is coming frmo a small hole just below the side cover, forward of the Vent pipe and just above the recently replaced fuel pump. Can anyone tell me what this small hole is for? Could this be the source of my leak? IT doesnt' appear to have threads. So, I suspect a plug of some sort.
Help?
Posted By: Dean50 Re: Hole in block - 01/31/12 11:22 PM
I can't picture offhand any untapped holes that should be in that area.
The fuel pump itself has been known to leak oil from the small pin at the top, but that's all I've got for you.
Sorry. Maybe a picture would help.
Posted By: kevin47 Re: Hole in block - 02/01/12 12:25 AM
...I just looked...and mine has a slotted round-head screw in the hole...all I can tell ya...Maybe it just looks like it's not threaded ( My guess it would be a 10/28 or ? ) Welcome to Chevy Chat ! Kevin
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Hole in block - 02/01/12 01:34 AM
Is the hole for a screw that holds the baffle in place that obstrucks the vent pipe opening...(inside the engine) .it keeps the oil from being pushed out of the breather.
Posted By: Jim_D Re: Hole in block - 02/01/12 02:15 AM
I'd like to post a pic...but I'm afraid I can't see how. THis is my first day. please be gentle
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Hole in block - 02/01/12 02:25 AM
Click on "FAQ" on the tool bar at the top of Chevy Chatter II. On the drop down menu click on "How do I add an image to my message?"

laugh wink beer2

Posted By: Jim_D Re: Hole in block - 02/01/12 03:16 AM
Yeah...saw that....no pics on a URL site.....Maybe figure it out later.
Thanks everyone for your ideas. But, I'm thinking it might be a casting pin location. Not sure. But, I'm fairly certain it is supposed to be there and don't think it's threaded.
Posted By: Ed_Osier Re: Hole in block - 02/01/12 03:30 AM
I think Chevgene probably has your answer.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum