VCCA Home
Posted By: Rustem Adhesive for rubber. - 01/24/12 07:36 AM
Friends, advise. I need to glue the rubber door seal. What should I use? What brand of glue?
Posted By: Back Roads Re: Adhesive for rubber. - 01/24/12 11:18 AM
3M SUPER WEATHERSTRIP AND GASKET ADHESIVE. I purchased mine at an Automotive Paint Store. It workde fine on the trunk seal of our 54.
Posted By: Rustem Re: Adhesive for rubber. - 01/24/12 11:43 AM
Thank you!
Posted By: rrausch Re: Adhesive for rubber. - 01/28/12 05:36 AM
The yellow 3M adhesive is better than the black 3M adhesive. When I worked in the glass shop we only used the yellow--you have to be more careful with it, but it does stick better and last longer.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Adhesive for rubber. - 01/28/12 06:53 AM
I use a lot of the 3M black adhesive. I found that it sticks a lot better and that it is more permanent and more durable than the yellow adhesive.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: Adhesive for rubber. - 01/28/12 03:45 PM
I had to remove the yellow stuff from my door and it was a mess,not to mention it does not blend with the color of the black weather strip and shows badly
Posted By: 42bill Re: Adhesive for rubber. - 01/29/12 12:32 AM
As I recall, I've only used weatherstrip adhesive on two cars. Both were BLACK. Weatherstrip was BLACK. Easy decision: I used BLACK 3M. Worked fine....that is held weatherstrip in place. The few places where there was a little excess could hardly be seen, even upon close examination.

Bill.
Posted By: ruscar Re: Adhesive for rubber. - 01/29/12 03:16 AM
I guess I will give my 2 cents worth. When I ordered my weather seal for the '48 from Steele I ask which "glue" they recommend. The person taking my order told me that when they install weatherstrips "they" prefer the black 3-M (8008), so that is what I used. I had some of the yellow (8001) and also tried it. The 8008 worked FAR better, for me. One word of caution. The 8008 while works great, but, if you mess up or get some somewhere other than where you need, it is VERY difficult to remove once dry. The yellow , while it does not hold as well IS easier to remove.
Posted By: styleline51 Re: Adhesive for rubber. - 01/30/12 12:02 AM
Also not mentioned is the importance of having a "clean" surface before you apply the adhesive. On the metal, make sure you clean it with prep or lacquer thinner before applying the adhesive. Make sure your gasket is clean too, and apply a thin coating to the gasket, let it get tacky, then apply a second coat and press it on. This is what 3M recommends in their instructions.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum