VCCA Home
Posted By: easy money Dirty brake shoes - 01/21/12 01:31 AM
When removing all the brake drums on my 51 , I found the shoes to be real dirty and with some grease. Linings are close to new in thickness so I want to use them. What can I wash them with to clean up the linings ? Thanks.
Posted By: ken48 Re: Dirty brake shoes - 01/21/12 01:39 AM
Try lightly sanding them. If too much grease, clean with spray brake cleaner first then a light sanding.

Wear a dust mask!!!
Posted By: glyn Re: Dirty brake shoes - 01/21/12 02:06 PM
I am in no way reccomending this as a solution but it worked for me twice. I soaked the brake linings in HEET set them on the cement driveway and lit them of with a fireplace match. The grease just bubbled up and went away. The shoes were riveted not bonded. The trick came to me by way of a mechainic who used it frequently to clean up shoes after a seal leak repair of a wheel cylinder repair. If you were to use it the result in on your back not mine. talk
Posted By: Back Roads Re: Dirty brake shoes - 01/21/12 03:25 PM
I did about the same as glyn on the brakes of our 54. I purghased SUPER CONCENTRATE UNIVERSAL MULTI-PURPOSE DEGREASER from Tractor Supply. I used it straight. The brakes came out looking like new. I use the same reduced with water to clean my garage floor.
Posted By: styleline51 Re: Dirty brake shoes - 01/21/12 09:44 PM
Don't forget the drums too. I used a degreaser on them and finished with several sprays with brake cleaner. This applies to new drums especially.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum