VCCA Home
Posted By: JaysonW Machine Shop Suggestions - 03/29/22 09:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I am getting the family 36 standard back running. The cam gear gave up the ghost on the original 207, so I procured a new fiber gear and thrust plate from the filling station. Any recommendations for a machine shop around the Charlotte, NC area?

Thanks,
Jay
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Machine Shop Suggestions - 03/29/22 11:56 PM
First get the correct timing gear as a 1937 will have a 216 engine.

Then make sure the timing gear is getting oil

Lack of oil due to the passage behind the front mounting plate gets full of sludge stopping the oil flow and causing the timing gear to fail..
Posted By: JaysonW Re: Machine Shop Suggestions - 03/30/22 12:30 AM
Thanks. Sorry it was a typo, it really is a 36, thus the 207. The motor was recently rebuilt (less than 10k miles). I definitely plan to check the passages, but hopefully with the recent rebuild they shouldn’t be too plugged. It looked super clean inside as I took it apart. Given the lower availability of parts for the 1936, it would probably be easier if it was a 37 😀.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Machine Shop Suggestions - 03/30/22 02:38 PM
The factory way to replace the gear is to remove the camshaft from the engine and press on a new gear. To do this the valve train and lifters, uel pump and distributor must be removed.
A more simple way is to break off the fiber and split the inner hub of the gear. Drill a hole (easier than you would guess) in the center of the camshaft, tap threads, pull on the gear
with the center bolt/hole making sure the teeth line up properly.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum