VCCA Home
Posted By: Lovindrums Help with 48 Fleetmaster Linkage - 05/14/22 01:09 PM
Please help with my 48 Fleetmaster linkage. I have 1st and reverse but cannot shift into 2nd or 3rd. Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: Help with 48 Fleetmaster Linkage - 05/14/22 05:07 PM
There are lots of causes for this problem. Some of them have simple solutions and others require major work on the transmission and linkage.

I suggest that you start by inspecting the linkage from the gear shift lever all the way to the arms on the transmission. Look for worn or bent parts. Then adjust the linkage based on the procedure in the shop manual.

I cannot remember if your car has vacuum assisted shifting. If it does that mechanism and linkage could need some maintenance.

If you do not have a shop manual I strongly recommend that you get one. It will more than pay for itself in the amount of time you save working on your car.
Posted By: Keith Knox Re: Help with 48 Fleetmaster Linkage - 05/15/22 01:40 AM
Originally had the vacuum assist.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1942_47/4247csm714.htm
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: Help with 48 Fleetmaster Linkage - 05/15/22 04:53 PM
Another “drive by posting”.
Posted By: Keith Knox Re: Help with 48 Fleetmaster Linkage - 05/15/22 11:50 PM
Is that one post and never come back?
Posted By: m006840 Re: Help with 48 Fleetmaster Linkage - 05/16/22 12:05 AM
Maybe we need to advise somewhere in the "'posting instructions" that though we are in the age of instant communication reply times will vary depending on viewer participation. I think some who happen to "stumble" upon the Chat Site expect an instant reply or perhaps forget where they posted their question .
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: Help with 48 Fleetmaster Linkage - 05/16/22 02:42 AM
Keith,

Yes, that is what I mean. Sort of a much less lethal version of a “drive by shooting”. I am active in multiple forums.. It happens in all them.

I do agree with Steve that many people think everything is instant communication theses days. One of ironic points is that in today’s electronic communication world the word “Chat” implies an instantaneous and interactive live communication. No one envisioned that description when VCCA named this forum.
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Help with 48 Fleetmaster Linkage - 05/24/22 09:46 AM
Yeah, we're not all Fleetliners. You know. Agrin

Best,

Charlie computer
Posted By: STOKER Re: Help with 48 Fleetmaster Linkage - 06/14/22 06:51 PM
I got a 48 Fleetline that had the same problem. On the transmission side there are 2 shafts, the big one towards the rear of the car moves slides inside, the front shaft is smaller an inside only moves about an inch or two when it selects which slide the big lever is going to be engaged with. When engaged to the top slide I think moves the gears for 1st and reverse, when pulled the other way it connects to the bottom slide which grts you 2 and 3 gears. the smaller shaft has a spring which pulls it to stay engaged, this spring breaks with age, mine had a small part of the spring hanging which gives you a clue which way it has to pull. Put the shifter in neutral when pulling in the small lever and you can feel it moving between slides. Also check the linkage as one time the small lever linkage on my car pulled itself out of a pivot point about halfway down the firewall.pulled out there is no way for it to work properly. Good luck
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum