VCCA Home
Posted By: Beamer Air Cleaner Filter - 06/14/13 04:06 PM
Did anyone ever come up with a modern paper filter that will fit the '48 air cleaner in place of the copper filtering material? I was given a very nice air cleaner but the housing for the copper stuff (two strips of expanded matal) are missing. Not likely I can find those but I would prefer a modern paper filter if I can find the right size. Did a "Search" in these forums but no luck. Thanks. Beamer
Posted By: Beamer Re: Air Cleaner Filter - 06/14/13 07:32 PM
Forget about the expanded metal parts for the copper filter filler. Chev's of the 40's has the complete thing. Still interested in any info re a paper filter. Beamer
Posted By: aussieron Re: Air Cleaner Filter - 06/14/13 10:39 PM
FWIW, I also had problems with the internals of the air filter on my '48. I made some new rings and inside fitted some foam rubber filter used by motorbikes. I do put a little oil on it and so far it works great. The original look is still there but with better filtration.
Posted By: decarter Re: Air Cleaner Filter - 06/15/13 12:00 AM
That's an interesting thought about using a modern air filter. You'd think that there must be one that could be used in there.
Posted By: FLEET 47 Re: Air Cleaner Filter - 06/16/13 05:00 AM
Would love to find something modern to fit into the original housing???
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: Air Cleaner Filter - 06/16/13 01:12 PM
So my question would be,does the cooper mesh not work for you for some reason,or is this not what your trying to replace???

[Linked Image from i563.photobucket.com]

$28.
Posted By: chevy1937 Re: Air Cleaner Filter - 06/16/13 03:15 PM
I went to Fram and others for modern inserts for 37 and 52. Even talked to them on the phone. No luck.
Posted By: kevin47 Re: Air Cleaner Filter - 06/16/13 07:12 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean...Kind of frustrating...Copper mesh is pretty worthless, unless you stick to paved roads...My thoughts on the idea was to "gut" the original canister, so I could insert some style of K & N filter below...And then run the copper mesh for looks, above...Sounds like a bit of trouble...Being that the reason for the tall "canister" was intended to keep the motor suction "roar" to a minimum...I haven't made any atempt to redesign the filter because I've just got to much on "my plate" at the moument...When I get to it I'll be sure to let you'all know what I came up with...Maybe I could find a K & N that's thin enough and still wrap some copper brillo pad around the outside...Just a thought...
Posted By: Beamer Re: Air Cleaner Filter - 06/16/13 11:26 PM
Chef-chevy, I just think a modern filter will do a better job of filtering unless you stick to paved roads as Kevin47 mentions.
Kevin47, K&N has a filter, mumber E-3290, that looks like it might work. You might have to glue a little foam on the under side of the outer rim to make it conform to the shape of the canister. I am going to look into that one but first I have to completely rewire my house phone system. Mine died unexpectedly! I have a temporary fix coming from the interface box outside with a wire in through my bedroom so I can use my computer (DSL) and have a phone but that needs to be replaced as soon as possible. No work on anything else until that is done! Beamer
Posted By: kevin47 Re: Air Cleaner Filter - 06/17/13 03:16 AM
Hate it that happens...I don't even have a home phone...How about a rubber strip, or is that to much trouble too find and cut...? I have a long piece that I didn't bother to install in my cement mixer from HF...Used silicon instead...Pretty pliable...But it does have some holes in it...Guess you'd have to cement it the the canister, though...Don't know if I'd ever use it for anything...Still in the middle of moving the shop...Don't think I'd of thrown it away...that's the problem...I don't throw anything away... laugh
Posted By: kevin47 Re: Air Cleaner Filter - 06/17/13 03:23 AM
Every time I look at your avatar I think of my car...It was originally painted "sport beige" from the factory...Yours looks a few shades lighter, though...

Sport Beige...That's the color on the top of my car...
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum