VCCA Home
Posted By: Allisguy Fence row gems - 02/25/24 04:30 AM
Some field cars

Attached picture IMG_1530.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_1529.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_1528.jpeg
Posted By: Lou Re: Fence row gems - 02/25/24 05:12 AM
. "Out standing in their field!" . Tri-fives.
I hope this this thread continues with more photos.
. The least expensive vehicle I ever got was a 1937 corn binder (IH) pickup. The owner of the Mohawk gas station where it was parked told me I'd get a tank of gas if it was gone by sun down. I rounded up a friend and a length of rope and it was gone. I was able to get it running and sold it for $25. .
Posted By: tonyw Re: Fence row gems - 02/25/24 08:02 AM
They would have been nice cars in their day but I fear they are now beyond repair considering it appears the floor pans are on the dirt if the floor pans exist any more.
Tony
Posted By: m006840 Re: Fence row gems - 02/25/24 03:19 PM
A complete new floor pan can be had for about $1000.00 so considering what the tri-fives restored are currently going for it may be practical. In fact sheet metal today is one of the less expensive items in a restoration. Paint, chrome, and upholstery will make a much bigger hole in the bank account.
Posted By: Tiny Re: Fence row gems - 02/25/24 04:10 PM
Automotive paint has gotten nuts. A friend of mine that owns a body shop told me he's mostly gotten out of the wreck repair business because the insurance companies are refusing to pay the full cost of repainting the damaged area because the paint has gotten so expensive. The few wrecks he does, he has to charge the customer a co-pay to cover his cost of paint.
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: Fence row gems - 02/25/24 05:30 PM
My observation is that paint and upholstery are now the major costs for any type of rejuvenation or restoration project.

Materials for painting are at between $1500 and $2000. A driver paint job costs with materials is easily between $8,000 and $10,000. I don’t even want to think about what a show quality job costs.

Interiors for a pre-50’s car are just as bad. Just finding suitable material is a real challenge. Then finding a shop that can do the work is even more difficult. I have heard numbers in the $10,000 to $20,000 range for labor.

You have to remember that $10,000 is only 2 1/2 weeks of work at $100 an hour.

I agree with Tony’s assessment. The decision to save any of those cars would not be driven by economics.
Posted By: Mr87Monty Re: Fence row gems - 02/25/24 06:14 PM
I am in NY and remember that paint was expensive for me to do my driveway paint job. I cannot imagine to pay someone to do it.
Posted By: tonyw Re: Fence row gems - 02/26/24 08:03 AM
I know several body shops near me wont touch insurance company work, they are tired of being paid less than costs.
Tony
Posted By: Allisguy Re: Fence row gems - 03/03/24 03:38 AM
The 57 was one of my fathers field cars when he was a kid. Someone bought the roof off it maybe ten years ago. The 55 wagon was to take drive train to put in a nomad. And the other 55 was just to have I guess. They are all pretty bad shape
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum