VCCA Home
Posted By: volklskier 1930 Chevy Float Height - 04/21/23 05:35 PM
When measuring the carburetor float height as specified (Float Level - 3/4" measured from machined surface to top of float--while held upside-down)", is the top of the float, "while held upside down", the surface I'm looking at standing over and looking down on the float, or is it the distance between the machined surface and the first plane of the float (when in the upright position, I would call this surface the top).

I realize this sounds like the 3 stooges, "who's on first skit". LOL.

Attached picture 1930 Carb.jpg
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: 1930 Chevy Float Height - 04/21/23 05:46 PM
I agree with your interpretation. I don't have access to a 1931 shop manual. I know that in the 1934 shop manual there is a picture of checking the float setting. On that carburetor they use a 3/8' rod between the machined surface and the "top" of the float.

That is the way I check them if there is access to insert a round object like a drill bit or rod of the correct diameter.

By the way, "Who's on first" was an Abbott and Costello skit. I don't think the 3 Stooges ever got that sophisticated!
Posted By: volklskier Re: 1930 Chevy Float Height - 04/21/23 08:43 PM
I uploaded an image to the original post. Would you say the "top" of the float is A or B?
Posted By: Stovblt Re: 1930 Chevy Float Height - 04/21/23 09:49 PM
"B"

Measure between the machined surface and "B"
Posted By: volklskier Re: 1930 Chevy Float Height - 04/22/23 12:05 AM
Okay, thank you both for responding so quickly.
Posted By: carbking Re: 1930 Chevy Float Height - 04/22/23 01:35 PM
Not sure from whence the setting you posted is quoted, but here is the quote from the Carter literature:

Quote Carter "Float Level: Top of float to be 3/4 in. from machined surface of casting at point opposite needle, with needle seated." End Quote

Jon
Posted By: volklskier Re: 1930 Chevy Float Height - 04/22/23 07:57 PM
That checks with my shop manual. Thanks Jon.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum