VCCA Home
Posted By: bobg1951chevy CORVAIR - 01/15/23 05:00 AM
With the Corvair being in production from 1959 ('60 model) to 1969 ....... and the popularity of the Corvair increasing, Id really like to see a Corvair collective year forum established.

How about it Pete, will you do that for me and other Vair fans ?
Posted By: piddler Re: CORVAIR - 01/16/23 05:07 PM
I am not sure what is involved in establishing another forum but it sounds interesting.

I am going tomorrow to look at and probably buy a 1965 Corsa convertible. I would be very interested in a more in depth forum for Corvairs. I would probably have more questions than answers. I hope that I can post some pictures tomorrow.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: CORVAIR - 01/16/23 07:45 PM
Don't like to say this but to be honest the intrest in Cotvairs is at an all time low.
At one tme there would be several
Corvairs entered in a regional meet field. Our region alone had more than six members (including mine) owning at least one Corvair. The Milwaukee Corvair Club had dozens of members. now the club is barely alive. The old Corvair owners are no longer with us and younger folks have no interest in them or afriad of them,
I love the Corvir, was a working at the dealership in the Corvair years, owned six of them over the years and sorry to see their demise.

With that being saud it would not cost any hing to have a Corvair only forum and worth a try and I would be happy to shae m Corvair knowledge if needed.
Posted By: Chipper Re: CORVAIR - 01/16/23 10:00 PM
I currently only have one, 1968 Convertible, Corvair. They are great for in town driving. A little less so on the freeways but not too bad. I have only owned three others in the past.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/17/23 02:43 AM
Piddler, I’d like to see pics of the ‘65 you’re considering.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/17/23 03:16 AM
Gene,

I’ve owned 3 Corvairs, my favorite is my ‘69 500, a pristine, low mileage unrestored Corvair which was so much fun. I foolishly sold the ‘69.

I watch the pricing of the Corvair, which is increasing rapidly since July of 2020. They are selling now.

I look at Corvairs as a unique engineering vehicle for Chevrolet.

Gene, you and I both worked for Chevrolet, during the Corvair era, it was an interesting time for Chevrolet.

It goes without saying that your comments / input would be appreciated in a Corvair forum on VCCA.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/17/23 03:31 AM
Chipper,

I’m not a young guy by any stretch, my wife and I drove 200 miles, one way, to a Corvair event.
No, it wasn’t a Cadillac ride, but we enjoyed the ride.
From my perspective, as the driver, my ‘69 handled like it was on a rail.

VCCA has forums for Chevy cars / trucks, PERSONALIZED Chevys, and GMC trucks.
The Corvair has been overlooked by VCCA chat.
Time to give Corvair a forum here…. it is a Chevrolet.
Posted By: Chipper Re: CORVAIR - 01/17/23 03:44 AM
If a separate forum would stimulate discussion on Corvairs I can support it.

My problem with high speed highway driving Corvairs is with brisk cross winds and the tendency to move sideways particularly when passing a large truck. They however aren't even close to a Karmann Ghia. They love to leap sideways when going 55+ mph and passing a truck. It is the flat underside that acts like a wing and lifts the car at speed.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/17/23 06:56 AM
Chipper, It’s unclear to me as to whether you’re favoring the Ghia or the Vair at highway speeds.

Yes, I do understand the cross wind issue in the Corvair, when the 18 wheeler blows by on the Interstate.

The Corvair weighs in at approximately 2,500 pounds.
It is a lightweight compared to most vehicles out there today.

Thanks for the support.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: CORVAIR - 01/17/23 06:01 PM
t is very importaT TO FOLLOW THE TIRE PRESSURES AS NOTED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL.
The fronts are run at a very low pressure to prevent over sensitive steering which can make driveing in strong winds difficult. Same for the rear wheels too low pressure make the rear move aroud more and require a much higher presure. (much more weight carried on the rear)
The 1963 convertible I had handled well with radial tires and I used 16 pounds in the gront and 30 iin the rear. I took the most long trips with that Corvair and that method made highway driving the most satisfiing.

A Corvair is a unique car and you have to learn about its little quiirks to enjoy it.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/18/23 02:28 AM
Wondering if you purchased the Corvair ?
Posted By: Keith Knox Re: CORVAIR - 01/18/23 05:51 AM
In 1960 I was working in the body shop at O'Brien Chevrolet in Eldora Iowa. A new Corvair was delivered and the boss told me to drive it in the body shop to hide it until it was time for the new car reveal that year. It was a blue 4 door.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/18/23 06:03 PM
Keith,

You were the first in your dealership to drive the 1960 Corvair 👍
Posted By: Keith Knox Re: CORVAIR - 01/18/23 06:25 PM
Yep. But then I joined the Navy in Dec 1960.
Posted By: Sam_Russell Re: CORVAIR - 01/18/23 11:50 PM
I would be happy to help support a Corvair section. I feel like the Corvair is having a bit of a renaissance and our local CORSA chapter has grown in the last few years. Hope this happens, I will be keeping an eye out.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/19/23 02:56 AM
Thanks Sam. 👍
Posted By: corvaired Re: CORVAIR - 01/19/23 06:49 PM
Want to see how popular the Corvair is? Come to Helen GA April 21-22. This show is over 30 years old and still going strong.CorvairEd VCCA#47508 Dade City,Fla
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/20/23 03:16 AM
Ed , we can’t forget the Helen, Ga gatherings of Corvairs, nor can we forget Maggie Valley, NC Corvair gathering.

Just these two events are each more than one day long.

Then there’s the upcoming event in Michigan, honoring 60 years for the ‘63 Corvair.

The huge Fan Belt Toss gathering in the fall in California.

These aren’t one night car cruises, instead these are dedicated Corvair events.
Posted By: piddler Re: CORVAIR - 01/20/23 09:58 PM
I did buy the Corvair. Not perfect but very nice car. Back up lights don't work and I have chased it to a bad switch. I have one ordered. I guess I will get to change transmission oil.

I will post some pictures when I get cleaned up. Weather was nasty on the way home.

I talked to the two previous owners and got a lot of information. There is a lot of information/history that came with the car.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: CORVAIR - 01/20/23 11:01 PM
Why do you think the transmission needs changing? Also check the oil level in the transaxle or does that oil also join the trans. on a stick.....I can;t remember.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/20/23 11:12 PM
Good that you made your purchase.
As Gene asked, is the tranny a problem or changing oil for maintenance ?
Posted By: Sam_Russell Re: CORVAIR - 01/21/23 01:01 AM
The later cars 64-69 I think have the reverse lite switch on the bottom. When you pull the switch it drains the trans.
Posted By: piddler Re: CORVAIR - 01/21/23 01:25 AM
I did buy the Corvair. Not perfect but very nice car. Back up lights don't work and I have chased it to a bad switch. I have one ordered. I guess I will get to change transmission oil.

I will post some pictures when I get cleaned up. Weather was nasty on the way home.

I talked to the two previous owners and got a lot of information. There is a lot of information/history that came with the car.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/22/23 04:08 AM
Piddler,

Send pics when you can

Is your Vair a 110 / PG ?
Posted By: piddler Re: CORVAIR - 01/22/23 07:51 PM
140 hp with 4 speed
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/22/23 08:25 PM
A peppy choice.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/24/23 06:27 PM
You’ve got the peppy combo !
Posted By: piddler Re: CORVAIR - 01/25/23 01:08 PM
The axle and the transmission have different fill holes but it is my understanding that there is a passage between them. The axle has a dip stick. I had to drain the transmission oil because the switch is on the bottom of the transmission. The dip stick showed that the axle was a little over full. When I removed the fill plug for the axle a very small amount of oil came out. The dip stick still shows a little over full. I will try to remember that.

I see, now, what you folks were telling me about the Corvair being a different animal. I see that there will be a long learning curve with this car. Fortunately, I have a friend who is familiar with Corvairs. That, along with all the knowledge here, I will get it figured out.

Thanks, Pete
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: CORVAIR - 01/26/23 01:15 AM
Corvair owners, This is a must.
#!
Corvair Technical Guide, part one and part. two. Two loose leaf binders with hundreds of pages noting Corvair probems, repairs and nodifications, Written be Larry Claypol and Clay Wispell, long time Corvair experts. Sections for each department such as brakes, carburetors, front suspensin etc. cover every Corvair part.
A 1960-1969 parts book published in 1972,

Two Corvari AC Delco oil filters.

All for $65.00 with cost of shipping included (The two guides are heavy)

A must for Corvair owners

chevgene@msn,com
Posted By: Chipper Re: CORVAIR - 01/26/23 01:26 AM
Gene,
Put my name on them. I will send you payment when I get back home Saturday with checkbook in hand.

Chip Sweet
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: CORVAIR - 01/26/23 02:02 AM
You’ll find the Corvair technology to be unique, when compared to other GM products.
The good news is the fact assistance is not far way.

You’ll enjoy the 140 / 4 speed as you cruise highways and back roads, as well.

A couple of thoughts, Piddler.

Corvairs had rust issues, as did any other car.

With Corvair converts, the rust / lack of structural support initiated in the cowl / firewall area.

With top down and parked on level concrete pavement, open and close the doors.

If the doors latch as well with top down, as when top is up and secured, the support in the unibody is stable.

Another area prone to catch water / rust is within the front crossmember.

Use a ball peen hammer or such to tap on underside of front crossmember to determine if crossmember is solid and not “a mushy feel”, when the crossmember is tapped with a hammer.

Best of luck and good adventures !
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum