VCCA Home
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Potential Scam - 05/09/22 05:08 PM
Today I just ended a discussion to purchase a wheel cylinder. I had posted for a couple in the Parts Wanted section.

There were clues all along the way. Each one alone did not set off a flag but collectively they spell "SCAM".

The first was that someone who had just registered with Chat sent me a PM the day they registered. They had never made any posts nor did they read my response to their PM. They told me to contact a different named person at an certain email address.

I contacted that person and they said they had what I needed. I asked for a picture of the part which I never received. That was a really big clue but I had forgotten that until I got ready to pay. We agreed to use PayPal. He gave me a different email address to make payment (another clue). When I started to make the payment PayPal wanted to add a fee even though it was directly from a bank account and to a "friend". It turns out that is an international email/account.

What is even more interesting is that on 5 May I received another Chat PM telling me to contact a different person at another email address for the wheel cylinder. The PM was from a person who just joined Chat on 5 May and is in the United Kingdom according to their profile.

I must be getting too old. I long for the days when you could trust people!
Posted By: Tiny Re: Potential Scam - 05/09/22 10:44 PM
What are their user names Rusty?
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: Potential Scam - 05/09/22 11:27 PM
Hi Tiny!

Hope you are doing well. Thanks for reaching out about this.

The users are TonyRider supposedly in Charlotte, NC and Stevereef in the UK.
Posted By: Tiny Re: Potential Scam - 05/10/22 11:26 AM
Both are banned.
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: Potential Scam - 05/10/22 02:12 PM
Thank you!

I did notice an interesting point when I was checking the background on those 2 users. I was surprised to see such a large number of registered users who have never or hardly ever posted.

There are 345 pages of total registered users. There are 168 pages of users who have never posted. There are about 57 pages of users who have only posted once.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum