VCCA Home
Posted By: styleline51 "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/11/18 06:35 PM
I was watching one of my all time favorite movies last night: "To Kill a Mockingbird" with Gregory Peck, and I was asking myself what year Chevy Atticus Finch drove in the movie. It was a 4 dr sedan with the bowtie logo in the door trim, wood spoke wheels, etc..

My guess--a 1926??

Also, Sheriff Tate drove what looked to be a '29 roadster?? What's the verdict from you pre-war experts??

My curiosity thanks you.

PS--Did either of these cars survive?? I know the movie studios in the old days used to junk whatever they couldn't sell. The movie was made around 1959.
Posted By: IMFALCO Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/12/18 01:33 AM
Hi Rick,

A little sleuthing turned up this...............

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_56592-To-Kill-a-Mockingbird.html

There are a couple utube clips showing the cars as well.

Roger
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/12/18 06:27 PM
Thanks Roger. Part of the mystery is solved. It looks like the Sheriff's car was a 28 National Touring. So far nothing on Atticus' car and no help on Utube.

Research continues.
Posted By: jtroberts64 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/12/18 07:04 PM
Seems you aren't the first one to search for this, probably won't be the last. The argument that there is a bowtie under the rear window in one of the pics doesn't seem legit, I can't think of any pics of 1928 sedans where I saw a bowtie under the rear side windows.

IMCDb Search Thread
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/12/18 10:45 PM
Just a note. You were close. I looked it up on IMDB. The movie was made in 1962 which was later than I had thought.

Charlie computer
Posted By: ZigZagZ Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/13/18 03:05 AM
That 1928 National is a good looking car. I'll need to watch the movie the next time it is on tv.
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/13/18 03:53 PM
iagree

Gonna try and i.d. Atticus' sedan. Didn't see any matching cars in my copy of the 50th G&D Commemorative issue.

Internet research to continue. W.A.G.--maybe it's a Confederate?/
Posted By: CJP'S 29 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/13/18 10:42 PM
Atticus Finch drove a 1928/29 Dodge Bros Victory Six Sedan
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/16/18 01:57 PM
I beg to differ.

Look closely at the trim on the doors. There are definitely bowtie trim pieces on there, unless some studio worker stuck them on. I can't believe that was a Dodge.
Posted By: jtroberts64 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/16/18 05:25 PM
Rick,
When I looked at the pic that you are describing, if I was looking at the right place (just under the rear window) I do see something that resembles a bowtie, but I don't recall seeing any car that has those on it. Can you point me to a picture of a chevy that has those? Or am I looking at the wrong place in the pic....that's totally possible.
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/17/18 05:43 PM
Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately, I can't refer you to a picture as I couldn't find any online. The one movie pic I found on google just showed the rear of the car and when I enlarged it it was out of focus.
I own a copy of the movie on DVD and this is where I see it. There seem to be bowties at the window sill on both front and rear doors on the driver's side. In all fairness, my 64.5 year old peepers may be playing tricks on me. LOL

I figure SOMEBODY out there in Chevyland or Pre-War Land will have a handle on it. I am going to research 28/29 Dodges as CJP alludes to see for myself.

The mystery continues!! willy
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/24/18 09:37 PM
After viewing my dvd of those scenes, closely, it really does look like a bowtie emblem on the rear door sill. Maybe somebody at Universal stuck it on as Chevrolet may have been an underwriter of the movie, as Sheriff Tate's roadster is also a Chevy?? Transportation coordinators have been known to modify movie cars. The white 58 Impala Ron Howard drove in American Graffitti had faux Cadillac tailights with wax lenses, according to the current owner--which fell off soon after he bought the car.

Atticus' car has front fenders that look aftermarket as they are flat with grooves on both edges. My best guess is it's a 1926 Chevrolet Superior Sedan, as the rear bumpers do not look like the Dodge bumpers, a bowtie can be seen on the radiator, and has a single oval tail light.
Posted By: CJP'S 29 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/24/18 10:22 PM
The sheriffs car was a '28 tourer(phaeton),and a couple of clues that identify Atticus Finches car as a '28/'29 Victory Six Dodge are:the lack of side splash aprons(common to both Victory Sixes & DA Dodges),the large chrome plated bowl shaped headlights,and the way the hood louvres curve down from the top to the bottom and curve forward at the bottom.
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/28/18 12:45 PM
Point taken. Good eye, buddy. iagree
Posted By: Rustoholic Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 02/28/18 05:25 PM
styleline51 said,
...it really does look like a bowtie emblem on the rear door sill,

Considering that in the book, it says that Atticus always kept a well maintained Chevy in the car house, I suspect that someone picked up on this tidbit and added the emblems to the car as a quick fix.

Great story! Dean
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 03/03/18 04:31 PM
Thanks Dean.

Hey--maybe this would be a neat new thread. Movie and TV Cars--where are they now?? As a big fan of the movie, "American Graffitti." I've been able to read online about the cars that survive today and their stories. What do you think guys and gals?? driving
Posted By: kaygee Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 03/04/18 12:34 AM
If it's a Chev, bring it on!! Otherwise, forget about it - I'm sure I could find out about movie cars somewhere on the internet.
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 03/27/18 02:53 AM
Speaking of the devil.......
The April issue of the G&D features a 57 Chevy movie car. Heeehaaaa. yay
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 03/27/18 04:30 PM
I don't believe the answer to this quesion will ever be satisfied to all who care. Hollywood probably just threw in an old car without too much effort in being true to the book. My best guess is that it was a Dodge they used. I am not so sure about that but it sure has been a excellent topic. dance2

Charlie computer
Posted By: TriviaSteve Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 05/30/18 10:16 PM
My understanding is that it was actually a 1926 Chrysler (currently owned by my aunt). I'm trying to get confirmation on this. The car is currently for sale. Was last driven in January before my uncle fell ill, but hasn't been started since. feel free to email me if you want more information. teamtriviapa@yahoo.com
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 05/30/18 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by TriviaSteve
My understanding is that it was actually a 1926 Chrysler (currently owned by my aunt). I'm trying to get confirmation on this. The car is currently for sale. Was last driven in January before my uncle fell ill, but hasn't been started since. feel free to email me if you want more information. teamtriviapa@yahoo.com

If the car is currently for sale, provide information concerning the car, the price, the location and RECENT pictures.

Potential sellers like to view information at the leisure ........
Posted By: TriviaSteve Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 05/30/18 10:51 PM
As I just joined the forum today, I still don't have permission to post pictures. The car is currently in Burlington, NC, $20K, and I do have some pictures, and can get better ones. They are the second owners of the car.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 05/31/18 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by TriviaSteve
As I just joined the forum today, I still don't have permission to post pictures. The car is currently in Burlington, NC, $20K, and I do have some pictures, and can get better ones. They are the second owners of the car.

wel2

PICS will help, a good description of the vehicle will help, as well.

Posted By: TriviaSteve Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 05/31/18 03:02 AM
Thanks for the welcome. As I said, I don't seem to have permission to post pictures - if I did, I would. I spoke with my aunt this evening, and she's going to take more pictures of the car tomorrow. I'll be able to, at minimum, email pictures soon. The car is in very good condition. paint is still shiny, and interior is good. I last rode in it last summer, and we took it for about a 30 mile round trip ride. Started right up and didn't have any issues on the road. Again, if anyone wants information, feel free to email. If I don't know the answer to a question, I'll do my best to find out. Not pressuring anyone into buying the car - merely putting it out there, as my aunt does want to sell it. We'd love for it to go to someone who would appreciate it for what it is.
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 05/31/18 03:57 PM
Hey Steve--that's really cool if your Aunt's car was actually used in the movie!! If true, it may be worth more than the asking price if documentation exists proving its provenance.

On another note, you might post under the "Cars for Sale" thread to get more looks. However, being a non-Chevy, it may not be appropriate as the forum is dedicated to Chevy and GMC.
Posted By: TriviaSteve Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 05/31/18 06:47 PM
styleline51 - We're trying to get documentation on it. Of course, the only thing that we could probably do would be a notarized statement from the previous owner, as I'm sure there would be nothing much else to prove it. But yeah, that's what she was told. And yes, this being a Chevy forum, I realize it, being a Chrysler, might not be of that much interest here - merely posting because I saw that you were interested in knowing the whereabouts of the car. To the best of my knowledge, it's the one. If indeed it is, it's survived and is in really good condition. If indeed it is, I'd be happy to share pictures of it with you.
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 05/31/18 07:20 PM
Very cool Steve. Yes I'd love some pics. Send me PM and I'll give you my email. If you're a member, you can find me in the member services section of the website under member roster.

Too many years have gone by but maybe the previous owner has paperwork from Universal Studios. They probably don't archive this stuff but worth contacting a transportation supervisor there. Might be worth the trouble= $$$$$$$$$$$$
Posted By: TriviaSteve Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 05/31/18 10:38 PM
my email's above.
Posted By: TriviaSteve Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 06/01/18 10:37 AM
i've reached out to the folks at Universal. But now, after watching a scene and looking at the back of the car, I'm beginning to have doubts that this is the car. Will do more research.
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 06/01/18 02:54 PM
Steve,

See CJP's post on page 2. I think he's correct that the car is actually a Dodge Bros. 28/29 as evidenced by the wheels and hub covers.
As I stated previously, it looks like the Studio plastered Bowties on the door sills to make the car look like a Chevrolet. Possibly Chevrolet was a financial backer for the movie, or the vehicle supervisor on the crew was partial to Chevys.

Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 06/01/18 02:57 PM
Bob,
Sent you a PM.
Posted By: TriviaSteve Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 06/01/18 07:48 PM
As I look at this clip,
at 1:43, the back of the car is different from my aunt's. But in this clip, at 2:49,
, it appears to be her car. So while it might not be the one that Gregory Peck drove, it does still look like her car was used in the movie. Sorry for wasting your time!
Posted By: styleline51 Re: "To Kill a Mockingbird" car - 06/02/18 04:10 PM
No worries Steve. It's all interesting. Possibly the Studio used more than one car anyway.

I know for sure that Sheriff Tate's car was a Chevy.

FYI for all you folks who are interested, my last internet check reveals Bob Falfa's '55 Chevy in the movie American Graffitti, was bought and still owned by two guys in Baltimore, who still show the car. There is a funny Youtube of it with the two in the car re-enacting a scene from the movie where Harrison Ford and his girl are making fun of Toad, ..." ain't he neat??..." LOL
Also, Steve Bolander's (Ron Howard) white '58 Impala is still owned by a guy in SF who bought the car from Henry Travers (transportation supervisor) for 800 bucks. He still shows it occasionally too.

Unfortunately, John Milner's yellow deuce coupe (327 Chevy mill) was sold to a collector in Japan, although many clones are around.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum