VCCA Home
Posted By: stefakicoupe 1950 coupe radio - 06/12/17 01:59 AM
on the 50 push button radio is there a working reason for the braided metal loom that the wires go thru to get to the speaker unit. i have a frayed wire that i want to replace or maybe all 3 while i am at it.the 3 metal braided looms are soldered at both ends. i think they are there just to protect the wires my buddy thinks they are there for a ground. has some one in our club gone thru this the radio was repaired and sent back working. when i put it back in the car nothing happens.i am have about had it with looking at a hole in my dash.
Posted By: radiofixer Re: 1950 coupe radio - 06/12/17 06:07 AM
You can start off checking if there is battery voltage going to the radio. It's 6 volt negative ground, Most likely a grounding cable as b+ and speaker wires go through it to cut down on any noise. These sets also used a vibrator. If it was working on the bench and sold as a working radio things happen in shipping. Also it's a tube radio if one of them went bad the radio will not work except for some noise unless the rectifier tube cut out.There's a lot that makes these radios work. It may have to go to a shop to be checked.
Posted By: stefakicoupe Re: 1950 coupe radio - 06/12/17 09:33 AM
so when i repair the wires will i still need the braided metal loom that wires go thru
Posted By: Chipper Re: 1950 coupe radio - 06/12/17 12:29 PM
Yes, The braided covering is grounded and shields the wires from ignition system noise.
Posted By: stefakicoupe Re: 1950 coupe radio - 06/12/17 05:43 PM
thats what i wanted to know now the trick will be getting the old wires out of the shield and then soldering everything with out burning any wire any ideas .do you think i can cut the metal braid in half do my repairs and then get the braid ends as close together as i can and shrink tube them together and hope to get a good ground 2 out of the 3 wires are bad so maybe leaving 1 alone i can still keep some what of a ground any ideas
Posted By: Chipper Re: 1950 coupe radio - 06/12/17 07:34 PM
The ground will be through one or both end fittings. As long as the shield completely surrounds the wires and is still grounded it will do its job.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum