VCCA Home
Posted By: Sundfar 1939 radiator hose elbow too long - 06/11/22 11:38 AM
I am renewing my old radiator hoses on my 1939 car. I ordered the steel elbow and lower two hoses from Chevs of the 40s.
The hoses is stated as «trim to fit», no problem with that.
But i find the stainless steel elbow (part 378248) too long, it is impossible to install. Now I need to go to a workshop to cut of almost 1 inch.
I expected this elbow as ready to install.
My waterpump and radiator is original, so it can not explain the problem.
Has anybody else had this problem?

Edit: I googled the part nr and found the part NOS, it is clearly different from the part I bought from 40s.
https://autopartsobsolete.com/1935-...w-lower-radiator-outlet-pipe-378248.html

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/5924/Chevrolet_Radiator_Hose_Metal_Elbow_In_Lower_Hose.html

I am so tired of all this bad reproductions!
Posted By: Tiny Re: 1939 radiator hose elbow too long - 06/11/22 02:55 PM
I understand your frustration. It's especially bad when you live overseas.
Based on my 1940 Master Parts List that is the same steel pipe elbow that is on my ‘37. Based on the history of my car I am confident I have the original part on the engine.

I was having trouble getting things connected until I realized that the pipe is not symmetrical. One end is slightly longer than the other. It is not readily noticeable when you are just looking at the pipe.

I cannot remember for sure but I think the shorter end goes down and points towards the radiator outlet. Regardless I just turned the pipe over and things fit great.
Posted By: Sundfar Re: 1939 radiator hose elbow too long - 06/11/22 06:32 PM
I can see from the pictures of the NOS item, it is not symmetrical. But the part I received from Chevs of the 40s is symmetrical. Even without the hoses attached, it is not enough space between the radiator outlet and the water pump outlet.
I have to cut this part, or order a NOS part.
Rusty 37, compare the pictures in links in the original post.
Posted By: Tiny Re: 1939 radiator hose elbow too long - 06/11/22 08:21 PM
Sadly this is an all too common issue with repop parts.
Posted By: m006840 Re: 1939 radiator hose elbow too long - 06/11/22 10:51 PM
If the only issue is the length of one leg then cutting is much easier than trying to lengthen one that is too short. Perhaps it should be listed as a 'substitute" rather than a reproduction. Having sold many coolant hoses and pipes I have often seen replacements that are longer after the proper bends to accommodate multiple application usage.
Posted By: p.k. Re: 1939 radiator hose elbow too long - 06/12/22 03:16 AM
Over the years I've probably had to modified in some way 70% of the parts I ordered . Now when I order parts I know they'll have to be modified and I'm never disappointed . Good Luck beer2
I feel your pain also!

The world of replacement/reproduction parts keeps becoming a greater challenge every year. It is not just for these classic Chevy’s. I expect it will only get worse with these older cars.

This is my view of the parts world today.
- I feel like I spend as much or more time trying to find the right parts as I do installing them.
- Half the time there is some type of issue with the “new” part I receive.
Posted By: Sundfar Re: 1939 radiator hose elbow too long - 06/22/22 10:24 AM
End of the case, I complained to ChevsoftheForties, they gave me a full refund for the wrong 378248 hose elbow.
Thank you for the update. I am glad that you were able to find some relief to your issue.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum