VCCA Home
Posted By: Rons38MD Cleaning up ID tag - 05/26/22 05:52 PM
Last time my car was painted, they painted over the upper ID tag.

Was thinking about trying to remove the paint so the tag looks more original.

Was this tag originally painted? What is it supposed to look like?

Any suggestions to remove just the blue paint?

Attached picture F7643F93-332C-4DE3-AFA1-239B1675DE4F.jpeg
Posted By: Tiny Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 05/26/22 06:48 PM
Mine was painted over as well. I was unsuccessful in removing the paint without also removing the factory paint. I put a reproduction tag on my car and keep the original in the glove box.
Posted By: Joneses Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 05/27/22 08:30 PM
The lower tag is body color. Get a repo upper tag, they are very nice, and stamp in the numbers.
Posted By: Rons38MD Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 06/15/22 07:01 PM
Sounds like I will order a new tag and some stamps. I am away from the car - anybody have a guess as to how large the original stamped letters and numbers were?
Posted By: Jim37MD Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 06/15/22 09:15 PM
Ron ...
I sent you a private message of a fellow VCCA member who may be able to help you with the tag and stamping.
jim p
Posted By: Roddabaz Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 06/29/22 06:38 PM
My car doesn't have the lower tag with all that info on, but it does have the upper tag which I can just make out some characters. Strangely my car seems to be the same color! What information does the upper blue tag give?
Posted By: Tiny Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 06/29/22 08:44 PM
The upper tag is the "data plate". It contains your serial number. It tells you the factory where it was made, the model of the vehicle, the month it was made and the sequence in which it was made starting with 1001. For example mine is 5HB05XXXXX. 5=Kansas City, HB=Master, 05=Made in May and the numbers after are the sequence. I don't know if it would be different in the UK or not.
Posted By: Roddabaz Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 06/29/22 09:22 PM
I'll try cleaning the paint off my tag, it's painted over just like the image in the post (even the same color!)

Attached picture DSCF0074.JPG
Posted By: tonyw Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 06/30/22 09:43 AM
Considering you are in the UK I suspect your car will be RHD therefore most likely Canadian built. When cleaning the blue paint of be careful as the original paint will be very thin and easier to remove than the blue.
Tony
Posted By: Bill Masters Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 06/30/22 01:05 PM
I am not familiar with the '38s. Are those clutch head screws used to attach the plate?
Posted By: Tiny Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 06/30/22 02:39 PM
Yes, those are the OEM fasteners. They are a hex/clutch head combo. I don't know if anyone repops them or not.

Attached picture IMG_0180s.jpg
Posted By: Bill Masters Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 06/30/22 05:24 PM
Is it possible to remove the plate by removing the screws?
Posted By: Tiny Re: Cleaning up ID tag - 06/30/22 07:58 PM
Unless someone bonded it in place, yes.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum