VCCA Home
Posted By: samlawvere I 1938 Engine splash pans - 05/13/14 08:04 AM
My 1938 Town Sedan has the original engine splash pans... I have heard them called "dust pans" or "drip pans" and read an article that they are a pretty rare item. Mechanics and owners removed them because they made it hard to work on the engine and they were rarely replaced. I was thinking about making a pattern and reproducing them... I am curious if anyone thinks people would be interested in buying these reproductions? I have searched on the internet, and never seen reproductions pans for sale.
Posted By: old216 Re: I 1938 Engine splash pans - 05/13/14 12:12 PM
They are a pain in the neck to work around. I don't understand their purpose but they may make things a little quieter.
Posted By: Chipper Re: I 1938 Engine splash pans - 05/13/14 01:34 PM
The engine splash pans also help to cool the engine by directing air past the entire engine instead of only the front. Since the back of the engine runs hotter it can use all the cooling it can get.
Posted By: dfd37chev Re: I 1938 Engine splash pans - 05/13/14 03:32 PM
The reproductions I have not seen, but the advice I got when looking to replace my damaged ones was to check the hot rod sites for cast-offs. I was able to get a pair from a guy on the H.A.M.B. site. Good repro's would be nice.
Posted By: junkyardjeff Re: I 1938 Engine splash pans - 05/14/14 02:04 AM
I put them back on my 37 and it does seem like the firewall is not as hot as without them,its a shame I had to severely modify the drivers side due to dual exhaust. The do come in handy when a tool is dropped and they catch it.
Posted By: 37Freak Re: I 1938 Engine splash pans - 05/14/14 06:12 AM
Hello!
Where these dust pans fixed on oil pan and frame or only on one of them?
I can hardly imagine that it is fixed on both. The engine mounts are elastic so the engine can slightly move to the frame.

Regards Tino!
Posted By: tonysk Re: I 1938 Engine splash pans - 05/14/14 06:28 AM
hi I would be keen to see how they bolt to the car I have splash pans (they hang on the wall of the shed)
Posted By: samlawvere Re: I 1938 Engine splash pans - 05/14/14 06:29 AM
They are bolted to the frame... I will post some pictures when I get a chance.
Posted By: bigbth Re: I 1938 Engine splash pans - 05/14/14 11:31 PM
They are held on by round head screws and nuts. There are actually four pieces to the splash pans. There are small pieces at the front of the engine that tie them into the front of the frame.

[Linked Image from ted-llc.com]

[Linked Image from ted-llc.com]

Brian
Posted By: junkyardjeff Re: I 1938 Engine splash pans - 05/26/14 04:05 AM
If the drivers side would had been made in two pieces to make it easier around the exhaust pipe I doubt many would have been tossed when worked on,I had to make mine into 3 pieces to clear the dual exhaust.
Posted By: bigbth Re: I 1938 Engine splash pans - 05/30/14 09:46 PM
The small pieces are at the front of the engine. The exhaust passes through a hole in the drivers side pan.

Brian
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum