VCCA Home
Posted By: 37chevyPU Original paint 1937 Chevy PU? - 02/02/12 07:49 PM
I am trying to figure out the original color of my 1937 Chevy PU … it has been repainted several times. Did the vehicle tag number on the right side of the firewall contain any information other than the build information (which was stamped in), or was there another plate somewhere that provided the pickup color etc? There is a lot of red … firewall, rocker panels, door frame, and on the lower body behind the front fenders and lower rear of the cab. I cannot tell if it was the original color, primer or a repaint job. The hood, fenders, grill, etc. are painted green, but it appears that it was applied later as the patches on the fenders are also green. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a URL to view pictures of the truck … hope it works.
Terry

http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/o499/tnadams/1937%20Chevy%20Pickup/
Posted By: Tiny Re: Original paint 1937 Chevy PU? - 02/02/12 09:03 PM
Your original color will be the color second closest to bare metal as you work your way down through the layers. The first will be the primer. Looks like you're missing a tag on your cowl. You should have one with your body, paint, interior, .etc. codes on it. It's the lower of the two tags shown below on my '38 coupe.

[Linked Image from i47.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Walt D Re: Original paint 1937 Chevy PU? - 02/02/12 11:17 PM
From all that you have examined it is a good bet that the original color is red. There were only three standard colors for the 37 truck, #1- T-100 Red, #2- T-160 Export blue (medium blue), #3- T-175 Brewster Green. There are 9 Optional colors and none were red.
Posted By: junkyardjeff Re: Original paint 1937 Chevy PU? - 02/03/12 12:27 AM
I would say the orangeish red is the original color and the front sheetmetal are off another truck,that was the original color of my 37 and mine also has holes for another tag which I think were used on the larger trucks.
Posted By: chevy1937 Re: Original paint 1937 Chevy PU? - 02/03/12 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tiny
Your original color will be the color second closest to bare metal as you work your way down through the layers. The first will be the primer. Looks like you're missing a tag on your cowl. You should have one with your body, paint, interior, .etc. codes on it. It's the lower of the two tags shown below on my '38 coupe.

[Linked Image from i47.photobucket.com]
Love your gas tank. I have one just like it on my lawn mower.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Original paint 1937 Chevy PU? - 02/03/12 02:57 AM
Trucks did not have a tag with the paint and trim numbers.
Posted By: kevin47 Re: Original paint 1937 Chevy PU? - 02/03/12 05:23 AM
...Yeah...He's gonna put it back on this weekend...After the "old lady" tells him to "get that grass cut...!"
Posted By: tonyw Re: Original paint 1937 Chevy PU? - 02/03/12 08:42 AM
That must be the optional long range I have heard about. LOL

Tony
Posted By: Tiny Re: Original paint 1937 Chevy PU? - 02/03/12 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by tonyw
That must be the optional long range I have heard about. LOL

Tony
Yesser! A really expensive option. crazy Gene, I didn't know that. Another bit of info to file away in the folds of the gray matter.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum