VCCA Home
Posted By: dfd37chev '37 chev. coupe rear diff. - 02/01/12 04:08 AM
I'm in contact with another member about purchasing a'37 master coupe rear diff. for my '37 Master DeLuxe. I'm trying to minimize the amount of work the owner will need to perform before I arrive. My question: Can the propeller shaft and pinion be separated from the rear differential without removing the axles?? I did talk to Chevgene and he did say they have to be. Thought I would put it out there for discussion. Thank you everyone and to Chevgene for accepting my P.M.
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: '37 chev. coupe rear diff. - 02/01/12 11:10 AM
Dave,
Gene is right, as usual. iagree

You have to put the car on stands, split the universal, take off the rear cover and catch the oil, take out the front bolts at the differential, remove the spacer, remove the keys holding the axles in, slide the axles out enough to clear, and pull the torque tube with the ring gear and pinion out the front. Not hard to do. dance
Charlie computer
Posted By: kwchevy1940 Re: '37 chev. coupe rear diff. - 02/01/12 01:30 PM
iagree It's not a difficult job but like Charlie said.. have a pan to catch the oil as it could be a messy job and make you say "turrible" words when that oil comes out if you aren't ready. dance
Posted By: dfd37chev Re: '37 chev. coupe rear diff. - 02/01/12 05:35 PM
I would like to apologize to all... I was looking over the cut-away view in my manual with a co-work when he noticed that the main caps that hold the carrier to the center section are not visable. Ssssoooo I had over looked a key component of the assembly and so of course the axles have to be removed to extract the center section. Can anyone say duh!! As you all have probably guessed I've either had a malfunction of the gray matter or I have no clue. I'll leave that for you all to decide. Again, thank you all. (and a bigger apology to Chevgene)
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: '37 chev. coupe rear diff. - 02/01/12 06:59 PM
Do no touch the main caps.when removed from the car you will have the torque tube and te center section of the rear end. will pull forward out of the axle banjo housing. The ring gear and pinin will not be disturbed.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum