VCCA Home
Posted By: Mike Buller 1941 216 engine rebuild kits - 01/31/12 04:26 PM
Got a call this morning from the CarQuest Machine Shop that the second block I brought in is okay for rebuilding. I don't know if I mentioned that the previous week they had called to tell me that a second head I brought in was cracked. This head had been Magna Fluxed and hot tanked by a local machine shop that I didn't think would do all that good a job on a complete rebuild, but surely would be able to find cracks in the head? Guess I was right to not use them.

The CarQuest shop said they would be machining the cylinder walls and know soon if one of the cylinder's was going to need a new sleeve. They said they will be calling soon to have me order replacement parts, etc., and that they don't get any discounts on the parts and would charge me for ordering them so recommend I do the ordering myself??? I am wondering which companies are recommended? I know Chev's of the 40s, The Filling Station, Kanter, Egge, are possibilities, are there others and who do you all recommend?
Thanks, Mike
Posted By: Tiny Re: 1941 216 engine rebuild kits - 01/31/12 04:46 PM
I ordered mine from Kanter because of their lifetime warranty. I contacted the Filling Station about their warranty and was told the only warranty was from the manufacturer, about a year if I remember right. The cost was about the same so I went with the lifetime warranty. The builder sent the rods off to Kanter last week to get machined for the insert bearings & the pistons/pins fit. The rest of the kit should arrive today or tomorrow.
Posted By: kevin47 Re: 1941 216 engine rebuild kits - 02/01/12 12:55 AM
Oh Boy...Here we go again...Magna Flux is another loosely used "term" that does tick me off...since I've spent so much time in the Non-Destructive Testing Field . Magna Flux is a Brand name , like "Xerox" is to copying...So when you go to your local shop , please by all means ask if they have anyone "trained" ( or Qualified ) to perform "Magnetic Particle Testing"...if you get a blank look or a "huh ?"...Do yourself a favor and just sidle on outta there...Chances are the un-washed you were just talking too was trained by guy who no longer works there and neither has any business waving a "black light" around...'sept to "dig" on their psyche-delic posters...
Posted By: ED1938 Re: 1941 216 engine rebuild kits - 02/01/12 01:18 AM
Kevin47......Well said....... I agree.....ED
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: 1941 216 engine rebuild kits - 02/01/12 01:56 AM
Eastern Ed,
I'm not sure it bothers me all that much.

Here are a few others that have become household words;

a. Tweet
b. Tweeter
c. Google
d. Googling
e. Kleenex
f. Saran Wrap
g. Post-It
h. Crock-Pot
i. Jacuzzi
j. Band-Aid
k. Zip-Loc
l. ChapStick
m. Vaseline
n. Asprin
o. Davenport
p. Tupperware
q. Fulton

I think there are many such names of products that carry further meaning to them. I'm not that pure an grammatical aficionado to get all worked over such use. So, it don't bug me none that my machine shop may use the name Magna-Flux when telling me I have cracks in my head. hood wave

Charlie computer

Posted By: p.k. Re: 1941 216 engine rebuild kits - 02/01/12 02:33 AM
Maybe it might be best to have B.B.B. to put up a
WHINING form. potty
Posted By: kevin47 Re: 1941 216 engine rebuild kits - 02/01/12 03:13 AM
...O.K. It really doesn't bother me much ... It's just that I get a little nervous when I'm handing over dough to someone I'm not 100% confident in their depth of expertise of the job at hand...And especially when it comes to de-magnetizing my "block" when their done...( Thanks ED )
Posted By: kevin47 Re: 1941 216 engine rebuild kits - 02/01/12 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by p.k.
Maybe it might be best to have B.B.B. to put up a
WHINING form. potty
I already asked Bill about that and he said you wouldn't agree to be the "Moderator" of such a FORUM...Sorry , I tried .
Posted By: chevy1937 Re: 1941 216 engine rebuild kits - 02/01/12 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Buller
Got a call this morning from the CarQuest Machine Shop that the second block I brought in is okay for rebuilding. I don't know if I mentioned that the previous week they had called to tell me that a second head I brought in was cracked. This head had been Magna Fluxed and hot tanked by a local machine shop that I didn't think would do all that good a job on a complete rebuild, but surely would be able to find cracks in the head? Guess I was right to not use them.

The CarQuest shop said they would be machining the cylinder walls and know soon if one of the cylinder's was going to need a new sleeve. They said they will be calling soon to have me order replacement parts, etc., and that they don't get any discounts on the parts and would charge me for ordering them so recommend I do the ordering myself??? I am wondering which companies are recommended? I know Chev's of the 40s, The Filling Station, Kanter, Egge, are possibilities, are there others and who do you all recommend?
Thanks, Mike
I would try to order parts (gaskets etc.) from your local parts store. You will save a bunch of money!
Posted By: old216 Re: 1941 216 engine rebuild kits - 02/01/12 04:41 PM
I am surprised that CarQuest wouldn't automatically offer to source the parts. I have dealt some with Kanter and they seemed decent to deal with. One thing that I do remember, the McQuay Norris rod bearings for the converted rods had the dipper hole on center instead of offset. Although this may not be a really big deal, it wastes about half of the dipper hole.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: 1941 216 engine rebuild kits - 02/01/12 07:04 PM
It is important to have the diper hole centered plus the area around the hole be opened up so more oil can spread around the bearing + the insert bearing should have the grove in the center like the babbited rod has.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum