VCCA Home
Posted By: 37chevyPU Clutch Head Screws - 01/23/12 04:08 AM
I am in the process of removing the trim from the inside of my 1937 Chevy PU. In doing so I discovered that the screws were (from what I could determine) “Clutch head screws”. They have a bowtie indent/slot. I believe they would be size 3/16ths. Two questions: 1) where can I get driver bits or screwdrivers for them and 2) what is the common practice on replacing screws when it comes to restoration. Thanks
Posted By: FLEET 47 Re: Clutch Head Screws - 01/23/12 04:46 AM
Got my set of clutch head screw drivers from snap-on.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Clutch Head Screws - 01/23/12 04:56 AM
You can also purchase a set of clutch head screwdrivers from the Filling Station in Lebanon, Oregon.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: Clutch Head Screws - 01/23/12 05:15 AM

All screws should be replaced with the exact type and size that were removed. You may have to let your fingers do the walking, but they can be found.

devil Agrin
Posted By: Mike Buller Re: Clutch Head Screws - 01/23/12 12:10 PM
If you need a local source many screws/bolts, etc. are available from Prime Industrial Fasteners, or Fastenal, or even the Filling Station or Chevs of the 40's. Others as Ray says require a lot of looking around. You can also post in the "Parts Wanted" section of our chat site. I recently sold an original steering column screw to one guy and 2 original cage nuts and washers for an oil cover to another. Hopefully, guys are not throwing out extra usable fasteners, etc.. Good luck, Mike

P.S. A lot of times finding good parts are the biggest hassle in restoring something. By the way does anyone need any Trico wiper motor screws!!!

Just dawned on me that many do not live in manufacturing communities and probably do not have local distributors of Prime Industrial Fasteners, or Fastenal Company products. Oh how the good old USA has changed!!!

Remember a little heat can loosen up almost any fastener. I combine the heat with any brand of penetrant, the right size tool, and pray that the "Pointer Sisters" advice will take care of the rest!!
Posted By: cisgww Re: Clutch Head Screws - 01/24/12 02:18 AM
Restoration Specialties has an excellent selection of fasteners, including clutch heads. I think they are in Pennsylvania
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum