VCCA Home
Posted By: Cleon Eck 1927-28 One Ton Rim Clamps - 01/26/07 05:27 PM

I am looking for the rim clamps that I hope are pictured in the link I tried to post. I need 3 of the ones pictured on the left and 12 of the ones on the right, Also 6 bolts

Cleon
[Linked Image from thumb19.webshots.net]
Posted By: Cleon Eck Re: 1927-28 One Ton Rim Clamps - 01/26/07 07:03 PM
Ooops! Sorry, I got it in the wrong place. Should have been parts wanted.
Cleon
Posted By: CJP'S 29 Re: 1927-28 One Ton Rim Clamps - 01/28/07 10:29 AM
Hi Cleon,
I had a look at the pictures you posted,and the rim clamp on the left is the correct one for a 1 ton truck from at least 1925- 1930,it's exactly the same as the ones on my '28 truck.
The clamp lug on the right looks very much like the clamps on a mates 1925 Dodge tourer.They use a different type of bolt,and the nut has flange either spot welded to it,forged with it or swaged onto the nut.
The early truck rims are different to the late '27(LM series)
to the 1930 (LR series),in the way the rim locks together on itself.
The pre LM rims used a joint that looks like a door hinge joint,and used a pin to lock the two ends of the rim together,and had the driving lug at about 60 degrees away from the rim lock joint.These rims were,I believe made by KELSEY-HAYES.
The later style of rim used a swinging type of lock device,identical to the passenger car rims,and were made by JAXON.The driving lug for the JAXON truck rims is a part of the locking device.
Both the KELSEY-HAYES and JAXON truck rims used a special type of rim splitting/spreading tool to suit each type of rim.I've only ever seen one tool to suit the early truck rim out here,but I was fortunate enough to get the proper JAXON rim splitting tool for my truck.It does make changing tyres a much easier job than trying to use a 3 leg rim spreader meant for cars.

chevy
Posted By: Cleon Eck Re: 1927-28 One Ton Rim Clamps - 01/28/07 05:26 PM
CJP'29
I have been in contact with Bruce Bugay, and he has informed me that the parts book shows the clamp on the left, the Jaxon clamp to have been used on the 27 and 1928 Trucks. The rectangle one on the right was supposedly used on the 25 and 1926 Trucks. Over the years people have had to use what was avialable, just like I am doing now, and you see anything that will work on them. I have 2 Jaxon wheels and three rims and 2 Kelsey wheels and one Kelsey rim on the truck. And I still need 9 of the rectangle or Kelsey Hayes clamps.
I guess most all of the factory rim spreaders have been lost over time, as I have only seen pictures of them.
Best Regards, Cleon
Posted By: MrMack Re: 1927-28 One Ton Rim Clamps - 01/28/07 05:51 PM
Cleon, keep an eye on eBay under 1925 - 1928 Chevrolet in the eBat Motors section. I was lucky a couple of years ago and found a group for the minimum bid.
As for the bolts, I found several at a VCCA 4 tour. I have thought about welding up a couple of hex head bolts of the right length and thread, then grinding them to shape, I don't know of anyone swadgeing replacements.
Posted By: Cleon Eck Re: 1927-28 One Ton Rim Clamps - 01/29/07 01:13 AM
Mr Mack, That is part of my morning coffee routine, Check out ebay and this Chat site along with some other regular sites.
I don't have heat in my garage so I have been spending a considerable amount of time surfing the net recently.
Cleon
Posted By: MrMack Re: 1927-28 One Ton Rim Clamps - 01/29/07 01:32 AM
Yes Cleon I have been in the same situation, however I did get the cross shafts out and fixed up on the 28, back together with new release springs, just need to adjust the bands and find out why the foot feed sometimes sticks in the full fast position.
will do a count of my Jaxon clamps, maybe I can help a little.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum