VCCA Home
Posted By: Chubbs 1928 National - 03/31/05 01:59 AM
This post is for my Dad he is restoring a 28 4 Dr. National he needs the Right & Left sides of the roof I don't know what they call them can anyone help. Thanks Chubbs.
Posted By: john gill Re: 1928 National - 07/30/05 12:25 PM
Hi Chubbs,

I'm sure several of the fellows on this site are considering your request. I personally don't have the knowledge of this vehicle to help you.

However, I sometimes take on the role of a gad-fly if necessary.

These old guys on this site want young guys like you to become involved in the restoration of CHEVROLET vehicles.

Keep up the good work.
Posted By: john gill Re: 1928 National - 07/30/05 12:42 PM
Hello All,

"you have the power to make wonderful things happen"
Posted By: MrMack Re: 1928 National - 07/30/05 08:32 PM
Chubbs, the best thing for you to do, in my estimation, is to order a Fisher body manual for the wood bodied Chevrolets. Several Vendors sell licensed repos of the original, I have a copy and it is really full of good information, both text, line drawings and old photos.
I am sure That Gary Wallace , and The Filling Station will have a copy, sometimes you can find then on eBay, just search under 1928 Chevrolet.
Posted By: Chipper Re: 1928 National - 07/31/05 02:49 AM
I would suggest that you consider making the parts or have a local sheet metal shop fabricate them for you. You can use 20-22 ga sheet metal. Many sheet metal shops can make the varying radius bend for the top sides. Or you can make a form out of wood. I might start the piece by forming around the power pole in my front yard. If you nail a 2x4 to the pole with the edge of the sheet metal between the 2x4 and pole you can ease the metal around the pole. Just start at one end and bend a little then progressively move down then back up then down. It should take about 5 round trips to get the right radius for the back of the part. The find or make a form for the middle to front and do the same. All the bending can be made by hand. Make sure to wear good leather gloves. It takes nearly twice the force to bend 20 ga vs 22 ga. so I likely would use the thinner metal.
Posted By: john gill Re: 1928 National - 08/20/05 05:34 AM
It seems Chubbs is having trouble getting back to the VCCA site. I gave him instructions so lets see.
Posted By: john gill Re: 1928 National - 08/20/05 09:51 PM
Someone help this boy! I don't know computers.

forensigns@coge.ca

Thanks, John
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum