VCCA Home
Posted By: 32confederate Very Rare Tool! - 02/02/18 05:10 AM
Here is the correct rim spreader tool for the Model D's and also the F, FA & FB's and maybe more models.

I found this one last weekend at the Turlock Swap meet just as we were finishing up and walking around the last building before we finished packing up a friends booth.

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]
Posted By: twin4 Re: Very Rare Tool! - 02/07/18 09:21 PM
Hi Bruce

It appears now that the site will let us put a in reply as last week this was not working. Just love technology!
Anyway you are correct that these tools are very rare and it was Ken Kaufmann who highlighted this tool to me when I got my D5. The Detroit Demountable is one of the few rims that had the 4" section that fitted in the rim and to fit or remove the section the tool is used to fit the two holes over the lugs on the rim and wind in or out to spread or retrack to allow the slide lock section to be turned and the section removed with no pressure.
It is my understanding that the Model D Chevrolet Series which was produced from late 1917 ,1918 and the first month of 1919 is the only Chevrolet to use this type of rim design, and there were not many other cars around this time using this type of rim.

As previously discussed with you it is my opinion that the Model D should be addressed as a Model Series or Production Run and not be confused as a year model 1917 1918 1919 as there is very little change in the models, other than short exhaust pipes and the round to square fuel tank there are no clear differences that can be used as different years. For example 1927 to 1928 to 1929. Combine this with the 3 different assembly plants being used to produce the Model D and the short run of the D4 all makes it impossible to be able to say that is a 1919 car because it was built late in Oct or Nov of 1918.
So for me a car built in late 1917 should be called a Model D Series Chevrolet and not a 1917 year or 1918 or a 1919 car.
I understand that this topic may cause some disscussion but there are very few of us Model D V8 owners who have taken the time to research the cars and with only 20 remaining examples not many have seen more than 2 or 3 and the last time there were more than this together in the one place was at the Springfield Anniversary Meet. As most are now tucked away in Museums or private collections the chances of seeing multiple Model D V8's at the one meet is almost as rare as the detroit rim tool.
I would be interested in your thoughts on this and others as to why the Model D V8's should be forced to be placed in a year rather than a series or model run.
Regards
Dave
Posted By: 63novaandy Re: Very Rare Tool! - 04/17/20 02:49 PM
Just an FYI this is for H models 1915-1916 as My 1915 Baby Grand is is similar to the Model D rims
Posted By: Mel1940 Re: Very Rare Tool! - 06/22/20 03:21 AM
I was just reading about the tool. Because I needed one today I had my H model out yesterday and had a flat. So repaired it today. After reading this yes my 1916 H model Baby Grand. Has the buttons on the rim and the 4 inch piece that comes out
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum