VCCA Home
Posted By: 35Mike Model D generator - 10/29/15 12:30 PM
Can anyone describe or post a photo/illustration of the model D generator? Thanks.

Mike
Posted By: CJP'S 29 Re: Model D generator - 10/30/15 08:39 PM
I've got an "AUTO-LITE" electrical booklet dated 1917 that has exploded views of all the parts,as well as a parts list for each type of generator & starter motor for 490 & Model D Chevs if that's of any help to you.
Posted By: 35Mike Re: Model D generator - 11/01/15 01:44 AM
That would be great. Thanks.
Can you post them here or do you prefer to email them to me?

Mike
Posted By: CJP'S 29 Re: Model D generator - 11/01/15 05:41 AM
It'd be easier for me to scan & email the information to you,if that's alright with you.
Posted By: 35Mike Re: Model D generator - 11/02/15 02:19 AM
Whatever is easier for you is OK with me. Thanks again.

Mike
Posted By: 32confederate Re: Model D generator - 11/20/15 10:17 AM
Hey Mike! What are you up too? I can send you pictures if you would like. I'll be home tomorrow, been in China for a few weeks.
Posted By: 32confederate Re: Model D generator - 11/26/15 09:33 PM
Here are two pictures from my 1918 Model D display engine. Please let me know if these help.

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]
[Linked Image from vccachat.org]
Posted By: the toolman Re: Model D generator - 11/26/15 09:51 PM
What spark plugs are correct for the Model D ?

dtm
Posted By: 32confederate Re: Model D generator - 11/26/15 10:22 PM
Hi Dave!

Very good question on the spark plugs. So Model D uses a AC Titan 7/8 long. I just happen to need some for the Chummy, can you help?

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Posted By: 35Mike Re: Model D generator - 11/28/15 05:01 PM
As in 7/8 thread, long reach? on the plugs.
Are any numbers visible on the sides of the generator case? Looks like a number on the top.
How does the generator drive? Pulley, Gear?

Mike
Posted By: 32confederate Re: Model D generator - 11/28/15 05:17 PM
Hi Mike,

Yes your correct 7/8 thread, there is a short and a long which is the reach. The model D used the long. There is also a SAE which will work too. And there are some other Titan plugs that look the same, but are for Dodge.

As to the generator, I can get you the numbers. If I remember right there is a gear that drives the generator from the front. I can take a picture of that also.

So Mike what are you working on? I'm working on updating the Model D roster right now, a lot of cars have changed hands in the last few years.

Bruce
Posted By: 35Mike Re: Model D generator - 11/28/15 05:27 PM
Bruce,
I'm not working on anything close to a Model D but I have an unidentified square generator with a distributor drive housing on the back and I would like to get it into the hand of someone who can use it, if I can figure out what it is.
I have a pile of old AC plugs, some NOS, some Titan. I will look through them to see if anything is suitable for your D.
Call me if you want and I will look at plugs while you ask the right questions.

Mike
573-864-6539
Posted By: 35Mike Re: Model D generator - 11/28/15 05:30 PM
DUH!!! Stupid question on my part. It would have to be a gear or sprocket since the distributor drive is on the rear.

Mike
Posted By: 32confederate Re: Model D generator - 11/28/15 05:46 PM
I'll do one better, I'll post some pictures of the plugs later today. Also get the number off the generator. I'll try calling later or tomorrow.
Posted By: 35Mike Re: Model D generator - 11/28/15 05:53 PM
Sounds good.
I will be selling Christmas trees for my Optimists Club, after 2 PM, both today and tomorrow (Sat, Sun).

Mike
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum