VCCA Home
Posted By: Chevygoat reverse idler bushing - 01/29/23 11:26 PM
Does anyone know where to find the proper size bushing for the reverse idler gear on a 28 3 speed? The filling station has counter shaft/reverse idler bushings but the shafts are different sizes. I did order some brass od7/8 id3/4 1 1/4" bushings but I believe they will not have any oil channeling in them. Gary Wallace does not have them as well. W/O a machine shop, can a channel be made in the brass?
Posted By: Bare_Feet Re: reverse idler bushing - 01/30/23 03:03 AM
I cut the oil grooves by hand. I split a piece of copper water pipe and opened it up to fit snug in the bushing then cut tapers on the copper tubing to be used as a guide. I used a Sawzall metal cutting blade and a pair of visegrips to cut the grooves.

Attached picture IMG_0595.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0597.JPG
Posted By: Lou Re: reverse idler bushing - 01/30/23 06:40 AM
. Over a decade ago, I needed counter shaft bushings for a 1937 three speed. They were priced over $30 but none were available. I went to the local ACE hardware and purchased two bushings for less than $6. I'm sure they cost more now. Copper plumbing pipe does not have impregnated graphite that bronze bushing do. .
. Happy motoring, . . Lou
Posted By: Chevygoat Re: reverse idler bushing - 01/31/23 02:38 AM
I found brass bushings from a company in NJ. They were 8.25 a piece, not bad on the price. I believe I am going to do a little bit of both posts. brass bushings then score a channel in the bushing from the oil hole out. I would hate to get this back together and then wear through the busing and or scull the shaft or the gear.

Thank you for the information! I will let you know how it comes out!
Posted By: 35Mike Re: reverse idler bushing - 02/02/23 03:07 PM
Lou,
Bare_Feet was using the copper tubing as guide for cutting grooves in a proper bushing. Re-read his post and you will get the picture.

Mike
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum