VCCA Home
Posted By: ConnorV Differential Carrier Removal Questions - 03/01/21 03:11 AM
Hello All,

I am working on a 27 1- Ton fire truck whose differential is in need of some love after sitting with water in it for a while. The teeth on the ring gear are rusted and probably pitted. I hate to think i have to find a replacement :/

I have ordered a shop manual and have been waiting for ages, and arguing with the seller to get another shipped.

The question I need answered is can I remove the diff carrier caps and remove the ring and carrier as a whole unit like more modern 10 bolt rear ends? Axles are out already.
or do I have to do more with the bearing cages and will it need to be set up again later? I have limited experience with solid rear axles.

I am hoping its well documented in the manual but any help in the mean time would be great! I did not find any relevant threads on here.

Connor
Posted By: Lou Re: Differential Carrier Removal Questions - 03/01/21 08:00 AM
Hi Connor,
. With axles removed, the diff carrier and torque tube can be removed from the rear axle banjo housing.
I have a spare with 5.42 ratio. It's heavy to ship from Nor Cal. I've attached a picture from the parts book that might be of assistance. Good luck, Lou

Attached picture Prop 4-cyl_0006.jpg
Attached picture 27 Parts book Pumkin.jpg
Howdy,

I believe the torque tube/differential assembly from '27 and '28 one ton trucks are interchangeable.

In addition to Lou, I can think of two other folks in California and one in Louisiana that have spare one ton rear ends.

Cheers, Dean
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum