VCCA Home
Posted By: roneyres 1928 Headlights - 11/07/18 04:10 PM
1928 Coupe -- Did a show last week and had to drive home in the dark. Although the lights work, they put absolutely no light on the road, only with my wife in modern car behind me let me get home safely. Others could see me just fine, I couldn't even see the side of the road. The car has clear headlight lenses and the original bulbs on 6 volts. I have 6 volts at the lights, so no issue with wiring or switches. Focusing doesn't seem to make any difference. I am thinking that since I don't plan to show the car for trophy that I should switch it to seal beam for safety. Anyone know where I can get adapters, or am I missing something regarding my lights? The reflectors are almost bronze color, all the plating is long gone. I painted them with bright chrome as a test thinking I should get at least some light on the road but to no avail. Am reluctant to spend the money for silver plating if it really won't end up with at least some light on the road.
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: 1928 Headlights - 11/07/18 05:51 PM

I would suggest you have the reflectors silver plated and then send them for aluminized. Someone will provide the address for this service. You will then have better lights than what you have. Never seen sealed beam lights on a 28. Got to be ugly.

Us fellows with the older cars, 1928 and older, should try to plan our trips in the daylight and if traveling alone you should have a modern car with you for safety. If you must travel at night a trailer is a much safer method of transport.

devil Agrin
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: 1928 Headlights - 11/07/18 07:02 PM
Chrome paint does on work on headlight reflectors since the paint does not have much reflectivity. Originally, your reflectors were silver plated however, with the modern process of vacuum sealed aluminum on your reflectors they will have 90% reflectivity forever. With this process, and with the correct bulb, your headlights will be as bright as sealed beams. First, you will have to get your reflectors stripped and polished at a plating shop and then have the reflectors nickel plated. After that is completed send the reflectors to UVIRA in Merlin, Oregon and they will coat your reflectors with vacuum sealed aluminum. This is a space-age process that is used on mirrors for telescopes and satellites. I had this done on my car and the vacuum sealed aluminum process is unbelievable. Here is the contact information for UVIRA:

UVIRA
310 Pleasant Valley Rd
Merlin, Oregon 97532
Phone (541) 956-6880

I believe that the cost for the vacuum sealed aluminum process is around $75 for the pair of reflectors.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: jtroberts64 Re: 1928 Headlights - 11/07/18 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
First, you will have to get your reflectors stripped and polished at a plating shop and then have the reflectors nickel plated.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure on what this will cost?
Posted By: m006840 Re: 1928 Headlights - 11/07/18 10:43 PM
I had mine done 3-4 years ago and for the nickel plating and polishing I was quoted anywhere from $80.00 to $160.00 for the pair.
Posted By: jtroberts64 Re: 1928 Headlights - 11/08/18 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by m006840
I had mine done 3-4 years ago and for the nickel plating and polishing I was quoted anywhere from $80.00 to $160.00 for the pair.

Thanks Steve. So it sounds like on the high side you could probably get this done for around <$300. Mine on my '25 need it, but I'm not sure they would look right all shiny if I don't proceed with a full restore, I sorta like the look of mine in more an original state. I certainly won't be driving her long distances to shows or at night.
Posted By: roneyres Re: 1928 Headlights - 11/08/18 02:30 PM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I will go with the plating route after hearing your ideas. Thanks again, Ron
Posted By: m006840 Re: 1928 Headlights - 11/08/18 07:05 PM
If you find a chrome shop that caters to hobbyist or motorcycle owners the plating could be much less. For some shops it's a small job that they really don't want so they price it high. I was lucky and found a shop where the owner was semi-retired and liked the small jobs to keep busy.
Posted By: Chistech Re: 1928 Headlights - 11/13/18 02:59 AM
The cost of Uvira last pair i did is $75 including return shipping. I’m fortunate that my neighbor is a polisher and I get my reflectors done for nothing. The two of them only took him 15mins to polish off the remaining silver and get them to shiny brass. They got nickeled for $40so my total cost was $115. My Olds headlights look super brilliant now. Can’t wait to get the car done.
Posted By: WSP530 Re: 1928 Headlights - 12/21/18 09:35 PM
When I restored my '28 Woody the reflectors were dull and tarnished but not pitted, I used Mothers mag and aluminum polish and they look like a mirror 3 years later
Posted By: Swoosh Re: 1928 Headlights - 03/24/21 05:59 PM
Thank you! Seems to be the way to go!
Posted By: Swoosh Re: 1928 Headlights - 03/24/21 06:01 PM
More good information! Thank you!
Posted By: m006840 Re: 1928 Headlights - 03/24/21 09:43 PM
You have posted regarding this subject in two different forums (1912-1928 and new user) and it would be less confusing if posting in only one for the same subject.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum