VCCA Home
Posted By: dixies 1928 steering box lubricant - 01/28/12 11:22 PM
Hi could some one tell me what is the correct lubricant I should be using in my 28 chev steering box and what amount

Cheers
John Dix
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: 1928 steering box lubricant - 01/28/12 11:58 PM

Hi John, and welcome to the Chevy Chat II. You have come to the right place for assistance on your 1928.

The correct lubrication for the steering box is 600 weight oil. However, if worn, it will run out fairly quickly. So, I would mix some of the 600 with some light grease and put that in the box. It may still leak, but not as bad.

devil Agrin
Posted By: 1928isgreat Re: 1928 steering box lubricant - 01/29/12 12:07 AM
Hi John,

As Antique Mechanic says, you have come to the right place.

I have had great success with a Penrite product, made especially for Vintage Steering boxes. It clings to the parts and has anti leak qualities. I also use it in my Uni Joint.

Details are

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/vintage,-veteran-&-classic/steering_box_lubricant

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/0STEERING%20BOX%20LUBE%20OCT%202011.pdf

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Ray
Posted By: dixies Re: 1928 steering box lubricant - 01/29/12 01:29 AM
Hi there Chaps,
i have put Penrite transoil 140 in diff
and gear box, how much do I but in the steering box
Cheers
John Dix
Posted By: CJP'S 29 Re: 1928 steering box lubricant - 01/29/12 01:54 AM
As the Penrite steering box lube is a very thick semi-fluid grease,you could try putting some in an oil gun(similar to a grease gun,but designed for thick oils),or put a small amount into a plastic bottle,microwave it for 30 seconds at a time til it's fairly fluid and easy to pour,then fill the steering box up to the bottom of the grease nipple hole.
This the best way I've found to do the steering boxes in my '28 truck & my '29 Olds.

idea
Posted By: dixies Re: 1928 steering box lubricant - 01/29/12 02:06 AM
thanks chaps,
I shall have a talk to
my penrite agent and get some of there steering box lube
cheers
john dix
Posted By: Steelin_Time Re: 1928 steering box lubricant - 01/29/12 02:35 AM
To get the oil into the steering box I use an almenite grease fitting and original grease gun.
Posted By: 1928isgreat Re: 1928 steering box lubricant - 01/29/12 02:40 AM
I use the same procedure as Steelin Time

I use a grease gun with the Penrite steering box lube, as the tube fits inside a modern grease gun, and I apply through the grease nipple.

Cheers

Ray
Posted By: Chipper Re: 1928 steering box lubricant - 01/29/12 01:55 PM
Because of the high viscosity and small passage to add lube taking it slowly is a good idea. It allows air to escape and time for the lube to settle.
Posted By: chevguroo Re: 1928 steering box lubricant - 01/29/12 11:14 PM
I've done this with my grease gun and use the Penrite grease. When a used my grease gun it tended to leak around the grease nipple so I now get a lenght of 1/4" clear plastic hose which fits nicely into the hole once the the grease nipple is removed. I suck the Penrite oil about 2 feet up the tube then blow it in. This also fits under the front seat better than a gease gun.
Chris
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum