VCCA Home
Posted By: Jerry27 exaust system - 01/24/12 11:23 PM
question? does anybody know if the reproduction exaust system on e-bay is correct for a 27? the muffler in particular. both of my 27s have a tail pipe. thanks, jerry
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: exaust system - 01/24/12 11:52 PM

Hi, I did not look at the pictures, however all the 4-cylinder Chevrolet ended with a short tail pipe that was dangerous. If you are replacing the system you are strongly urged to extend the tail pipe out to at least the bumper length.

devil Agrin
Posted By: Jerry27 Re: exaust system - 01/25/12 01:10 AM
thanks for the reply ray, mine do have tailpipes but i still would like to know about the muffler in the picture. i think i have seen this type muffler on a model-t. what-cha think?
Posted By: 1928isgreat Re: exaust system - 01/25/12 05:54 AM
Agree 100% with Antique Mechanic,

I fitted a reproduction system on my 28, noisy as anything, replaced it the following day. Quieter, safer, and you leave the noise behind.

Cheers

Ray
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: exaust system - 01/25/12 07:48 AM

I just took a look at that exhaust system for you. It is a crude repo of the 27 system.

If you are serious about a new system I recommend either Parks Pipes for a metal version that is fairly good or Klass Kollection for a stainless steel version.

devil Agrin
Posted By: 1928isgreat Re: exaust system - 01/25/12 08:44 AM
May I reccomend stainless steel. My 28 has had 3 exhaust systems in 38 years. The first 2 were mild steel and lasted about 7 years each. The current one is stainless and after about 24 years is still perfect and will outlast me.

Sure more expensive up front, but do it once, let the great grand kids worry about it in 50 years time.

Cheers

Ray
Posted By: Montythechev Re: exaust system - 01/25/12 09:29 AM
Gidday Fellas,

Here are a few photos when I put on a new stainless steel exhaust last year, Rays is testimony to stainless going the distance.

http://montythe1928chevrolet.blogspot.com/2011/10/resto-stainless-steel-exhaust-fitted.html

http://montythe1928chevrolet.blogspot.com/2011/10/resto-monty-leaves-trafalgar-after.html

Car was picked up, dropped off and new system installed for $700.00 - It might not be physically correct but it has a lovely quiet note to it.

Posted By: Jerry27 Re: exaust system - 01/26/12 12:32 AM
thanks to all who answered my question. i'll stay with the steel exaust because of the cost. i'll let the grandkids worry about replacement. at my age, i don't even buy green banana's. jerry
Posted By: ED1938 Re: exaust system - 01/26/12 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Jerry27
thanks to all who answered my question. i'll stay with the steel exaust because of the cost. i'll let the grandkids worry about replacement. at my age, i don't even buy green banana's. jerry

Good one...I agree.....ED

© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum