VCCA Home
Posted By: ron1967 wireless turn signals - 01/24/12 05:59 AM
does anyone make a wireless turn signal kit for cars that do not have the wiring ?????
Posted By: veryrusty52 Re: wireless turn signals - 01/24/12 06:29 AM
Good day to you.

I have not seen any around in OZ. Would be interested to hear if you come up with a lead, but will be more interested to hear how the "keep your car original at all costs" guys handle this one. I can see them going for the hard liquor as we speak.

Good Luck to you fella
Posted By: MrMack Re: wireless turn signals - 01/24/12 04:56 PM
not running for the hard stuff , yet, but before I get the Kawwasaki Mule fixed up right I may break my vows of teetotalization. In Texas hand signals are still legal for passanger vehicles that weren't originally equiped with modern high-falutin' electrical sissy turn signals! Old timers around here say that the 1928 Chevrolet had sissy brakes (four wheel brakes) vs. rear wheel brakes only on 27 and older. We are still well and good living back in the early 20th Century. In fact it is the cat's meow!
Posted By: SSG26K Re: wireless turn signals - 01/24/12 05:28 PM
Signals ???? My '25 sedan wasn't even built with a brake light. No signals is half the fun of driving the old car. Everyone thinks your waving to them when you want to make a right turn. If you get in the proper lane well before the turn you have no problem. And let's be honest; no one is looking at your signals. They are too busy staring at the car or giving you a compliment on how cool the old car looks. BTW I do have a brake light and a little side mirror. It's no fun driving without them.
Posted By: ron1967 Re: wireless turn signals - 01/27/12 05:26 AM
I was thinking of designing a wireless turn signal (battery powered and completely wireless).
It would have a transmitter in the cab (small box that could be attached to the steering column with velcro or laying on thr passanger seat (about the size of a cigarette pack).that would talk to the front and rear left or front and rear right battery powered lamps that are either nagnetically od spring clamped to the bumpers. They could be installed or removed for any judging in about 30 seconds.

Any thoughts ???

Just wondered if someone has already done this before I get involve with the design and do research into FCC band allocation requirements.

thanks ron
Posted By: veryrusty52 Re: wireless turn signals - 01/27/12 05:45 AM
Hey Ron,

Wireless Turn Signals, I have only one word to describe

Hard wire them!

Posted By: 3rdowner Re: wireless turn signals - 01/28/12 02:12 PM
Idea: go to Verizon and sign-up for the 5-Family plan and get five cheap phones, tape one on each side of the car, front and back. Set the phones on “flash” for incoming calls. Put two new contacts in the 5th phone named “left” and right” and address each exterior phone accordingly. Because they are in you plan, there should be no charge for family and friends. You may want to download a “clicking” ring-tone. Additionanlly, You may want to include a third contact assigned to a group call, name it “4-way flasher”.

Seriously, I haven’t seen a wireless turn signal system, but I would be interested in one. I drive my 28 and 26 around Denver on a weekly basis, yet I like to show them on the weekends, and I don’t like having an aftermarket turn signal on them. If the system were clip-on, that would address most requirements.
Posted By: veryrusty52 Re: wireless turn signals - 01/29/12 01:39 AM
Hi 3rd Owner,

If I understand correctly when you show your car or have it judged, you are encouraged to keep your Chev in an unsafe condition for driving, with no turn signals. Are these judges not aware of safety, or are they just fanatics for originality.

Still thats what trailers are for I suppose.

Posted By: Ed_Osier Re: wireless turn signals - 01/29/12 01:54 AM
I have never had my cars judged and don't intend to, but my understanding is that no points are to be deducted for turn signals or other approved safety equipment.
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: wireless turn signals - 01/29/12 02:50 AM

Uncle Ed is correct. No deduction for safety items.

devil Agrin
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: wireless turn signals - 01/29/12 02:53 AM

HI veryrusty52,

Why are you so critical of judging?

devil Agrin
Posted By: veryrusty52 Re: wireless turn signals - 01/29/12 03:20 AM
Hi Antique Mechanic,

I was not so critical with judging, just concerned that drivers feel the need to remove safety items before submitting their cars. But with Uncle Ed's posting that points are not deducted for safety items I have no issues.

And your confirmation puts it to bed
Posted By: 3rdowner Re: wireless turn signals - 01/29/12 03:51 AM
Veryrusty32,

You don't understand correctly, I have turn signals, I would like removable wireless turn signals.
Posted By: Bill Barker Re: wireless turn signals - 01/29/12 04:09 AM
Here are some WIRELESS turn signals that I was looking at a while ago.

http://easyontaillights.com/

--bbb
Posted By: veryrusty52 Re: wireless turn signals - 01/29/12 05:52 AM
Hi 3rd owner,

You are right. I dont fully understand.
1. You have hard wired turn signals at present.
2. We have established that for judging purposes, points would not be deducted, as its a safety item.
3. You would like to change over to a wireless system.

I cant see the requirement to do so.
Posted By: Chipper Re: wireless turn signals - 01/29/12 02:23 PM
Actually there is no point deduction if the "safety" items are installed in keeping with the period of the vehicle. As an example vinyl coated wire or LED lights are subject to a deduction for a 1928 but cloth covered wire and bulbs are not. A messy installation is also subject to deduction at the judges discretion.
Posted By: 3rdowner Re: wireless turn signals - 01/29/12 09:51 PM
Veryrusty52,

Again, you don't understand. I never mentioned "judging", I never mentioned "points", I simply said I would like to be able to take them off at shows. It's a personal requirement, like wearing polished shoes and a sport coat to work, I just choose to. Read my post, it was not conflictual, actually, I had some lead-in humor, something we can all live with.
Posted By: veryrusty52 Re: wireless turn signals - 01/30/12 06:34 AM
Dont mind me, just a silly old fool.
Posted By: kevin47 Re: wireless turn signals - 01/30/12 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Bill Barker
Here are some WIRELESS turn signals that I was looking at a while ago.

http://easyontaillights.com/

--bbb
Thanks Bill , I think it's a great idea...wish it was mine ...! Kevin
Posted By: 1928isgreat Re: wireless turn signals - 01/30/12 11:11 AM

My Money is on 3rd Owners Idea

Go to Verizon and sign-up for the 5-Family plan and get five cheap phones, tape one on each side of the car, front and back. Set the phones on “flash” for incoming calls. Put two new contacts in the 5th phone named “left” and right” and address each exterior phone accordingly. Because they are in you plan, there should be no charge for family and friends. You may want to download a “clicking” ring-tone. Additionanlly, You may want to include a third contact assigned to a group call, name it “4-way flasher”.

Think of the extra money one could earn by hiring out the mobiles while you are at the car show, and you could have a different ring tone for each left or right, front or back. The possibilities are endless. Now if we could just get the 4 phones to ring at once when we hit the horn button, basinka.

I'm off to the shed to invent a solar powered headlight.

Cheers

Ray
Posted By: RichardJ Re: wireless turn signals - 01/30/12 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Bill Barker
Here are some WIRELESS turn signals that I was looking at a while ago. http://easyontaillights.com/ --bbb

This looks real good for what was requested except that you would have to see if they could come up with a second set of lights with amber lenses. Aside from that and being a bit pricy, they seem to be just the thing asked for in the original post.
Posted By: RichardJ Re: wireless turn signals - 01/30/12 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by RichardJ
This looks real good for what was requested except that you would have to see if they could come up with a second set of lights with amber lenses. Aside from that and being a bit pricy, they seem to be just the thing asked for in the original post.

I checked and got this reply:

Will talk to engineers and see if that is possible.
Terry
Easy On Tail Lights
easyonlights@mtintouch.net

----- Original Message -----
To: support@easyontaillights.com
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 7:47 AM
Subject: lights

Hello,

I looked at your lights and was wondering if it would be possible to get them with a second set of lights for the front with amber lenses. We were talking about wireless lights for antique cars, and this sounds good. Perhaps the brake light function could be blocked on the front ones?

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter,

Richard
Posted By: ron1967 Re: wireless turn signals - 01/31/12 05:19 AM
almost changed my mind since someone already made them but for $289 each, think there's still be a market for a cheaper pair..maybe $60
Posted By: veryrusty52 Re: wireless turn signals - 01/31/12 06:59 AM

Been a long day fellas, lets have a bit of a laugh at ourseleves.

Are you ready, here we go

All this activity and thought going into something like this. I am truely amazed, but I respect everyones opinions and wishes.

Still if you are not confident that your hard wiring of a set of turn signals will satisfy the judging gods, then on with the tractor stick ons, drive down the road. And if you think some one might see them that knows you, make sure you travel on a different road.

Lets just hope you dont have fibre glass gaurds or too much bondo under the paint that the magnet does not take.

I presume fibre glass gaurds are ok for judging and shows, or does a little man go along taping on the panels, or better still out comes the magnet to test.

My humble opinion is that if judging can be as critical as what your wiring harness is covered in, I will pass on the judging.

I'll see you on the road, but make sure your wireless turn signals are firmly attached so I can see where your going.
Posted By: Montythechev Re: wireless turn signals - 01/31/12 09:08 AM
Gidday fellas,

I thought you were all joking when I clicked on that link with the lights for sale... They are some ugly mother @$%#*%$ lights for a vintage car and if someone out there cannot come up with some more stylish, compact ones, I'll go jump....

Also there are some lovely hardwired small stylish indicators that I have seen on vintage cars and thats the road I will be taking.

Do it once and do it well.

Posted By: chevguroo Re: wireless turn signals - 01/31/12 10:00 PM
Available in Australia for 'hard wired ony' turn signals (called blinkers in Aus.) are 25/26 Chev reproduction park light bodies with curved amber glass lenses(milk glass also available for park light use)and rim from Page Reproduction Parts.
email djpage@primus.com.au

You'd need to get a devise/switch for mounting a turn switch. On my 28 CSC I've got an after market 15 amp 3 way switch (left on/off/right on) It's quite small and I've mounted it on a small bracket that I mounted it between the steering column bracket and the end of dash return so that it can't be seen but easily switched on by leaning forward slightly. I also had this set up on my coach for the 16 years I owned it. I also have one very small LED light mounted inconspicuously on my header board so as to make sure I turn the signal off. The wire is hidden behind the pillar covering.
Chris
The bodies are brass so that can also be used on veteran cars. I've got nickle plated ones on my 15 Amesbury to match the rest of the cars lights
Chris
Posted By: veryrusty52 Re: wireless turn signals - 02/01/12 07:49 AM
Good day to you Chris,

I like your set up. Sounds very professional.My only question is you say you lean forward to activate the semi concealed switch. Are you embarrashed to drive with indicators to make your old Chev safer?

New to this game, and as I understand it, some refer to 28's as having sissy brakes, only because the have a brake on all 4 wheels.Strange but as we all zoom around the country in our modern buzz boxes with 4 wheel disc brakes, I dont seem to recall nicknames covering the change over from drum to disk.And if they released a car with no disc brakes these days, apart from it being illegal, the public would not have a bar of it.

Some of these old Chevs are now 90 years old, and if we have any chance of driving safely in modern traffic, should we not welcome any opportunity to make our pride and joys not as dangerous to other road users.Lets be honest, as fast or slow as our old Chevs may be, to the modern motorist, after the novelty wears off, they are a moving road block.

The other option is to bring back the old 1905 or so law, with a man waving a red flag walking in front.
I fear if we are not careful we will condem these old cars to going to a venue on the back of a trailer, doing a few slow laps around the park, then back on the trailer to go home.

Still what would I know???
Posted By: CJP'S 29 Re: wireless turn signals - 02/01/12 08:58 AM
Actually,the Red Flag Act was repealed in England,back in 1896.And when it was repealed,the London to Brighton Run was created in "celebration" of the act being repealed,and as everyone knows,the London to Brighton Run has been held every year since.
devil
Posted By: franco Re: wireless turn signals - 02/02/12 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by veryrusty52
Good day to you Chris,

New to this game, and as I understand it, some refer to 28's as having sissy brakes, only because the have a brake on all 4 wheels.
The other option is to bring back the old 1905 or so law, with a man waving a red flag walking in front.

veryrusty,

Don't know if you are old enough to remember this, (obviously I am), but when I was young a lot of twenties cars, including 28 Chevs, which were still being used for everyday transport, carried a reflective red warning triangle strapped to the spare tire with the legend "Caution 4 Wheel Brakes" to warn lesser mortals not to drive too closely behind them. I think they must have been a popular accessory in the late twenties.

Sometimes I wish I had a sign "Caution 2 Wheel Brakes" on the back of the 27 to warn the idiots who persist in cutting in front of me in traffic where I have left an adequate margin to stop safely - probably would not mean anything to them though.

Re the red flag bearer, I would hate to have his job in front of my 27 during a tropical downpour when the brakes were really wet. It would be a dangerous and possibly short-lived occupation!

Frank.
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: wireless turn signals - 02/02/12 07:39 AM

Canada placed the 4-wheel brakes triangular sign on the left rear fender in 1928.

devil Agrin
Posted By: veryrusty52 Re: wireless turn signals - 02/02/12 08:20 AM
Hi Frank and Antique Mechanic,

Can you just imagine how it must of been in those early days.

We really do take for granted how cars have developed over the years.

Just think of how an insurance claim would have read in the late 20's.

Question - Can you describe the accident

Answer - I ran into the back of a 28 Chev.

Question - What do you think caused the accident

Answer - Damn fool in the 28 Chev had 4 wheel brakes.
Posted By: chevguroo Re: wireless turn signals - 02/02/12 08:35 PM
Australia also had the triangle 'warning 4 wheel brakes' but we had it on the RHS. I have a couple of different versions I got off old 28 rear guards, one had a light in the middle, the other had a reflector.
Chris
Posted By: ron1967 Re: wireless turn signals - 02/10/12 04:02 AM
found some really stylish lights that go on HARLEY DAVIDSON motocycles. They come with amber len's and white LED's or white LED's with amber lens's.

Also found some literature on wireless technology, have to dig out my old college elec eng textbooks and see if I can convert my "vacuum tube" theory (1960's) to semiconductor theory, might even get it smaller than a gym locker now and not need the 12 truck batteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: veryrusty52 Re: wireless turn signals - 02/10/12 06:38 AM
Hi Ron,

Not trying to discourage you fella, but is it worth all the effort to get these wireless gizmos into reality.

Would you spend as much time, thought and energy to ensure your old Chev starts, stops, runs and looks as good as it can.

You are obviously on a mission, so I wish you well.

Happy trails to ya.
Posted By: ron1967 Re: wireless turn signals - 02/11/12 06:40 AM
point well taken...but I also watched the Super Bowl...need to get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I just purchased a second 27, I will have a lot less time to solve the world problems.

Thanks ron
Posted By: 1928isgreat Re: wireless turn signals - 02/11/12 08:46 AM
Keep up the good work Ron,

Just think of the positive side. Now you have two 27's, all your problems are halved, or is that doubled.

I'm not sure.

Cheers

Ray

Posted By: SANDDOLLAR Re: wireless turn signals - 12/12/12 08:16 PM
I have filed for a patent on such a device that does not require wiring into the vehicles electrical system!

C.I.P.A. has a set that is fairly simple to wire into the turn signal wiring in the trunk.

Regards, Tobias
Posted By: heavyhands Re: wireless turn signals - 12/21/12 03:01 AM
Mr. Mack sir, I think I disagree with you about the 27's and earlier cars having rear brakes only. I believe 1/2 of the 28's (January thru about June), have rear brakes only. 1928 apparently was a transisional year and the powers to be DID actually change horses in midstream by adding front brakes. I am one of those early '28 vehicles...or at least my truck is. It may be that only the trucks were affected and not the cars. If that is the case then I would only disagree by 1/2!

tks,
Jerry
Posted By: Chipper Re: wireless turn signals - 12/21/12 04:57 AM
The '28 passenger cars have four wheel brakes. The 1 ton trucks didn't have front brakes until July.
Posted By: heavyhands Re: wireless turn signals - 12/21/12 09:42 AM
Re: 28's having front brakes. Thank you Chipper for the clarification. BTW, they ('28 trucks), had no directional signals and only one brake light. For those that care, I have added both signals and two brake lights (hard wired). Whichever avenue you take, be careful out there.

One more thought, remember one day someone else will own your car!

tks,
Jerry
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: wireless turn signals - 12/21/12 05:28 PM

This started out as "wireless turn signals" and has slid into brakes. Come on guys, this is the Christmas Season.

Agrin devil
Posted By: bobc4 Re: wireless turn signals - 12/21/12 10:06 PM
Gooday,

I have tried to keep everything on my 27 ute as original as possible but hardwired indicators on my old ute with a simple on off switch attached to a small plate at the steering column, it is out of the way, I have a similar on off switch for the ignition after my original bakelite switch cracked after 87 years.

The indicator lenses are amber conical type from the 1950's and I don't think look out of place.

When I am driving in traffic and having had plenty of experience with F***wits

(a) who cannot drive (b) are inconsiderate (c) hoons (d) d***heads or as in a lot of cases a combination of all of the above, the least I can do for my and my passenger's safety is have clear indicators.

In modern traffic which has enough risks with an old car I go for safety every time.

Have a safe and happy Christmas

Bob
Posted By: 1928CoachCoupe Re: wireless turn signals - 12/22/12 02:16 AM
I have a 28 Coupe with wireless turn signals. What I have are turn signals designed for bike riders (Don't laugh they work great). If you go to Google and search for wireless led turn signals you will probably find them. They are battery operated. You put the control on your steering wheel or anywhere you can get to it. It attaches with a rubber carrier and goes on and off in seconds. The actual signal is in the rear window. I keep it on with two sided adhesive pads and can take it off in a few seconds, clean the window and it is stock original again. I can then put them back on to travel safely. They are very bright, easily seen in the window, and have right, left, and emergency flasher, including tones to tell you whether right or left signal is on. They cost $40. Neatest thing you've ever seen. Can't remember the brand but I could find them if you can't. The LEDs for the signal are shaped like arrows (3 to a side) and very visible. Look them up.
Posted By: 1928CoachCoupe Re: wireless turn signals - 12/23/12 04:31 AM
I Googled the lights I mentioned. They are available from www.gadgetsandgear.com. The design is slightly changed, and the price is $39.99 + shipping. Take a look at them. I installed them purely for safety reasons (as well as a second center mounted stop light that is brighter than my original Stop/Brake light). Strongly suggest them if safety is your concern. If you want something more stylish or original then you may not like them. Don't know how they would fare in a judging competition, but I don't enter judging competitions so not an issue for me. Just wanted something other drivers could see that was quick, no hard wiring, inexpensive, and this filled the bill. Your decision.
Posted By: Skidd Re: wireless turn signals - 12/23/12 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by ron1967
does anyone make a wireless turn signal kit for cars that do not have the wiring ?????

This is probably exactly what you are looking for;

Wireless & magnetic indicators
Posted By: 1928CoachCoupe Re: wireless turn signals - 12/25/12 01:05 AM
I've tried responding to this string twice but they aren't showing up. If you go to www.gadgetsandgear.com they have a set of wireless turn signals for $40 that are designed for bicycle riders. Don't laugh, they work well on cars and I put them on my 28 Coupe purely for safety reasons, along with a high mount extra brake light since the originals aren't very noticeable. The wireless lights go on with double sided sticky pads (tinted black so they can't be seen against the black background of the turn signal) The control unit is in rubber covering that you can stretch onto the steering wheel or wherever you want. They have LED indicators on the controller as well as different sounds for left and right signal, plus emergency flasher control for all LEDs. They are highly visible, work on AAA batteries, which should last a long time, and can be removed in less than 5 minutes to restore car to original, if you want, and then put back on in a few minutes to get back on the road. I don't do judging, but drive my car in summer, and I wouldn't be without them now. I too thought they might not be very practical, but after seeing them and talking to others who have seen them, they work great for the price. They could be mounted externally if you wanted, but then you might want something more secure than adhesive. Inside on the window is not a problem because if they did come off they would land inside the car, but they haven't come off in warm weather, cold weather, or anything for over 6 months now. Just use enough stickly pads (I use 6-3 on each side). Check them out.
Posted By: 1928CoachCoupe Re: wireless turn signals - 12/29/12 08:47 PM
At almost $400 I think I prefer the bicycle type I mentioned for$40 bucks. They certainly do the job for $400, but not sure I want to put anything on my frame off paint job that might move around and cause some problems,or maybe even fall off under the right circumstances. I would mount some type of tether to them to protect my investment.

I think we will see a lot more LED and Wireless devices like this in the near future, and at lower costs. Now Chevy owners have at least two ways to solve the problem based on their needs.

I recently bought some LED warning lights that run on batteries, and can be clipped on almost anywhere. Paid $1 for them and bought 4. Keep them in my 28Coupe in case of a breakdown or other trouble. With some extra batteries in the car they would last a long time in my view. They are bright, and flash or stay constant. You can even just put them on the highway like the old triangles to warn cars.

Thanx for letting us know this option is out there
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum